• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Two of the coolest shots I seen made with a double were a head on brain shot on a warthog that stood long enough to think it was a miss until it rolled onto its back.

The other being a near hit on an African Wildcat. I never expected my buddy to shoot on it with his .500 NE. I was lined up with my scoped on it when he pulled the trigger. I hesitated only because where he was in regards to my barrel & it didn't want to mess up his hearing. His shot witnessed through my scope was just center mass on the Wildcat, but barely clipping it's belly. The impact of the 500 grain bullet turned the ground into a fragmentation grenade sending the Wildcat flying. An African Wildcat is the size of most house cats.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only 2-gauge shotguns I've ever heard of have been punt guns. A punt is a small rowboat. Absolutely gigantic shotguns were mounted in those boats. The hunter would quietly paddle up to a flock of waterfowl asleep on the water. At the right time and the punt gun would be fired, throwing a pound or more of shot into the air. Maybe 30, maybe 100 birds would be taken with that one shot.

My point about giant shotguns and detached retinas is that since the shotguns were mounted in the boats, the boats absorbed the recoil. I can't imagine it was fun to hold on for the recoil-induced ride but at least the body didn't directly absorb the blow.

And, yes, some punt guns were proportioned so that they could be fired from the shoulder. I don't, however, believe anybody ever did that. Later punt guns didn't even have buttstocks but were mounted directly to the boats.

Info on punt guns here.

Or if you prefer video with more pictures:

Crud... never seen nor heard of one of those. Thanks Ben.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I just got the barrel on my 300 Remington Ultra Magnum threaded. On the way back from the gunsmith UPS managed to take out the trigger on the barreled action. The gun shop had it insured so my new trigger is on the way. I purchased a self-timing Gen II Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake to tame it. It arrived today.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I absolutely love those big bore rifles... up to a point. That point being, pain and bruises for no good reason. I have several large bore guns, mostly .45-70 government. Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks, Sharps, and others .45-90 is cool and .45-110 is really neat, .45-125 is just incredible. I have a few different ones chambered in .50-70 and a Remington #1 in .50 x 2 3/4 inch Sharps Express.
    Years ago I fell in love with the idea of having an exotic big bore side by side in .577 Nitro Express. I found one a number of years ago and ay have led to the divorce from my first wife because she got really pissed off when she found out that i traded the car for it. It is a hammer double made by Maybury in London just at the end of WWI, beautifully engraved with pop-up leaf express sights. Incredible workmanship. It came with one box (5 rounds) and two loose cartridges of factory Kynock ammo. I was in "stupid" heaven and couldn't wait to take it out for a test run.
    I did.... It did not knock me down as I was expecting some real recoil. That is where expectations and reality collided. The muzzle blast was deafening, the blast/recoil knocked my shooting muffs and glasses off. Concussion made my mouth open wide and my teeth hurt. My upper body was instantly numb. My desire to fire the other barrel was totally not even a thought! I cried all the way home.
    I was black and blue from the crook of my elbow to my right nipple. Next morning my wife took me to the emergency room for x-rays. Nothing broken but my pride.
    I will NEVER EVER shoot that SOB again.... just not worth it but I still love the gun! John

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    This is a .577 T REX IIRC owned by the guy that had accuratereloading.com. I'll tell you dangerous game rifle really are not to be shot while seated. Standing benches are what you want when shooting they heavy calibers.

My Africa gun is a 6 pound .416 Remington mag that kicks more then every .500 NE I ever shot. Double are damn heavy guns to have to carry all day. I figured have my gun light because I carried it more then shooting it. The excitement of shooting on something big pretty much cancels the recoil felt @ the time.
    The .577 T-Rex is the new acronym for the old .577 Nitro Express.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Y’all are tough gluttons for punishment.
    I suppose you are right. Firing the big guns is an experience in itself. The really big punishing ones I think relate to the same damage as "shaken baby" syndrome. I still love the gun for what it is not for what it did to me. Like having a wife that swats you occasionally with a frying pan? Too expensive to get rid of and all but impossible to replace. Really expensive to feed like a high maintenance girl friend.

Top Bottom