• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    When I was in my 20's I liked to shoot the big guns.....45/70, .458 Win Mag and the .460 Weatherby. I always wondered what the really big guns were like since I have read all of the African big game books beginning from the days when they shot the 8 ga. muzzleloaders up to the .500 Nitro Express.

Saw this video the other day of a guy shooting the .600 Nitro and thought you might enjoy.

ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    African Rifles & Cartridges by John "Pondoro" Taylor.
    It's a pretty good read on the subject of big bore rifles. Definitely dated info but quite enjoyable.
    Reprints are available for reasonable $.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It is fun to shoot, but not often. When I was younger I always felt that the bigger the better, but not only the cost, the pain many can afflict is harder to justify these days. I will agree though, they are beautiful and impressive.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Can I get a 1911 chambered in .600 Nitro?
    Theoretically. If you are willing to hit the used market, you can get a 1911 in .308. I could imagine upscaling that. I wouldn't want to shoot it but I can imagine it.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    It is fun to shoot, but not often. When I was younger I always felt that the bigger the better, but not only the cost, the pain many can afflict is harder to justify these days. I will agree though, they are beautiful and impressive.
    The blooming limeys killed a bunch of friendly old elephants with British.303s. They must not be too hard to kill. We best let Ted Nugent know about that. lol

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Once upon a time a friend was planning a hunting trip to Africa.
    Somewhere he found a rifle chambered in .416 Taylor caliber.
    It was a very lightweight rifle that only weighed about 6lbs.
    He brought it out to the range one day. Offered to let me shoot it. Of course I wanted to.
    So I did.
    Once.
    That was enough.
    After getting my retina reattached I decided I did not want to go there again.
    Welcome to Ouchtown. Population: Moonpie

topduarte

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2017
    I love my 7 rem mag and had a 35 remington and also have a 356 Winchester rifle. I would love to shoot those huge caliber rifles.

I am not skeered. Lol

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Are you sure? How many detached retinas do we need around here? Who ever heard of the 2 gauge shotgun? Read about it in gun magazine as a child. Each slug weighed half a pound. Bet that could make old Dumbo get a grip. Just guessing.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Could you bring us up to speed?
    The only 2-gauge shotguns I've ever heard of have been punt guns. A punt is a small rowboat. Absolutely gigantic shotguns were mounted in those boats. The hunter would quietly paddle up to a flock of waterfowl asleep on the water. At the right time and the punt gun would be fired, throwing a pound or more of shot into the air. Maybe 30, maybe 100 birds would be taken with that one shot.

My point about giant shotguns and detached retinas is that since the shotguns were mounted in the boats, the boats absorbed the recoil. I can't imagine it was fun to hold on for the recoil-induced ride but at least the body didn't directly absorb the blow.

And, yes, some punt guns were proportioned so that they could be fired from the shoulder. I don't, however, believe anybody ever did that. Later punt guns didn't even have buttstocks but were mounted directly to the boats.

Info on punt guns here.

Or if you prefer video with more pictures:

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Ok it’s been a long time ago since that come out in Field and Stream. Thought they shot elephants with it. My memory ain’t as good as it used to be..to borrow a phrase from Sick Willy. Sorry.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Back when I hunted in Africa my buddies dad had a company on that side that sold double rifles. Euro gun Imports sold Krieghoff's, Merkel's, Chapuis & Heym's. I use to always shoot in the old man's doubles because he mounted Dr. Optic red dots on them. The old man & my buddy both shot .500 N.E.

I remember the old man telling me to come check out the new rifle wen it was Heym Jumbo 600. NE. I knew I really didn't want to shoot it. Didn't figure the old man wanted to either.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom