Hurley's Gold

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    just put motor oil on everything. even clean and lube the barrel with it. when cleaning after shooting, all of the fouling wipes right off. then repeat
    Although I believe CLP cleans a litter better, just make sure you wipe out the inside of the barrel good before firing.
    Target Sports

huntsalot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    dfw
    i’ve done both the final patch with oil and done and final patch dry. my weapons tend to stay put up for months at a time so the last year i do the cotton soaked with oil to get it clean, a dry patch 2x, then finish with a lightly coated patch and put them away like that. first time i have though about debris and dust being attracted to, and collecting within the oiled barrel. will have to look into that.

storage is in a residence closet so it’s not like my stuff is stashed in my grandpas hay barn.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    This thread started in 2010 and the second post was 2018. I responded in 2018, but here we are again.

My last post referenced Pat Rogers article and Slip 2000

Today, my advice for ARs is still simple...

1. Buy a quality firearm
    2. Lube it well with decent oil
    3. Shoot a few hundred rounds
    4. Repeat #2

Optional: Clean it every few thousand rounds...

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Wow!
    All these years, and Cherry Balmz 'Black Rifle' has come & went, and never mentioned here...
    smiley_freak.gif

Don't know if the guy's tech info is still up, but it has some good points on why grease should be used on anything that slides.

Also why motor oil is not, besides that it is constantly draining off where you need lube.
    Other people who work in the lubrication industry back this up, and explain why home brew mixes are retarded...
    Motor oil, even the infamous Mobil-1 should never be mixed with grease of any kind due to the detergents attacking the thickeners in grease, and turning it into a slimy mess.
    If you want a thinner grease, buy a lighter weight grease!
    Same with ATF, it doesn't make a very good AR lube, alone, or mixed into a special brew.

Cherry Balmz is (when you can find it)/was a NLGI-0 grease, and worked excellent.
    After the china flue con job shut a lot of places down, he lost one of his key additives, and deliveries are slow at best.

Moly grease is also excellent, but BLACK and turns everything else BLACK.

Tetra grease is good for 750°f, most others have a max temp in the 300° range, but the Teflon in it settles out, and when it does, it needs to be warmed up, have the holy crap shaken out of it.

Slip 2000 EWG also has a max temp of 750°, and a lot of people think highly of it, so I may pick some up.

I have been using Magnalube-G, which has a 550° max temp, and has worked as well as my remaining 2 bottles of Cherry Balmz Black Rifle.

Have tried Super-Lube, and did not like the results. Even tried adding extra Teflon powder, had minor stoppages either way.
    (minor is when it happens at a range, but would be a major issue in the event of a 2-way engagement)

Magnalube-G:
    20220504_112331.jpg

Industrial Moly grease:
    20221207_235246.jpg

I buy 10cc syringes off eBay, and applicator tips, and caps, then fill my own
    icon_smile.gif

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Lubriplate has served me well for years.....

Just noticed the expiration date....lol....it's almost empty and ordered another from Brownells...........plastic container no cans anymore....

20230706_023838[1].jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Cherrybalmz worked good, but availability, and cherrybalmz's willingness to sell products they don't have has kept me away from buying more. Plus I'm not convinced you really need 5 different formulations, regular ar lube, heavy weapons lube, rimfire lube, bolt action lube, cold weather lube...

I tend to go back to slip 2000 ewl 30 for ar's, lubriplate or tw25b for pistols or open action rifles (m1's)

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I agree with the OP. I usually use ballistol on my ARs, but I use Lucas Red and Tacky on a lot of my other guns. Especially my M1s.

On another note, I'm in the minimalist cleaning camp.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been using Ballistol on my shotguns. Works great. Usually right before shooting. But I've never used it on pistols or rifles.

Lately I've been using marine grease on the BCG's of my AR.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom