Capitol Armory ad

How to go about Changing a City Ordinance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoydRage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Baytown, Tx
    I'm looking for advice on how to go about getting this city ordinance changed to at least allow CHL holders the ability to carry in parks. I regularly visit the dog park, take my dogs for walks. This park is one of the bigger parks in Baytown, but it has had some issues with people being attacked. Just curious where to start, unless I am missing or don't understand something. Being licensed to carry I still cannot carry when I go to the park.

• Sec. 70-6. - Firearms or fireworks.
      SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTION
      It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or discharge any firearm, firecracker, rocket, torpedo or any other firework, airgun, BB gun or slingshot on or over any park.
      (Code 1967, § 17-4.1(a)(5); Ord. No. 974, § 1, 5-7-69; Ord. No. 1142, § 1, 12-7-71; Ord. No. 5288, § 1, 6-22-89; Ord. No. 5474, § 1, 2-22-90; Ord. No. 5515, § 1, 4-26-90; Ord. No. 5576, § 1, 7-12-90; Ord. No. 5853, § 1, 5-9-91)
      Cross reference— Fireworks generally, § 38-191 et seq.; weapons generally, § 66-26 et seq.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Given TPC 30.06(e), the city’s ordinance prohibiting carry of a firearm by a license holder in a city park is effectively unenforceable. If that’s not good enough for you, ref TGC 411.209
    Sec. 411.209. WRONGFUL EXCLUSION OF HANDGUN LICENSE HOLDER. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (i), a state agency or a political subdivision of the state may not take any action, including an action consisting of the provision of notice by a communication described by Section 30.06 or 30.07, Penal Code, that states or implies that a license holder who is carrying a handgun under the authority of this subchapter is prohibited from entering or remaining on a premises or other place owned or leased by the governmental entity unless license holders are prohibited from carrying a handgun on the premises or other place by Section 46.03, Penal Code, or other law.

Also, if you follow the cross-reference to Sec 66-26 et seq (and following), discharging a firearm is what is specifically prohibited unless the discharged was justified defense of person/property per TPC 9.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I'm looking for advice on how to go about getting this city ordinance changed to at least allow CHL holders the ability to carry in parks. I regularly visit the dog park, take my dogs for walks. This park is one of the bigger parks in Baytown, but it has had some issues with people being attacked. Just curious where to start, unless I am missing or don't understand something. Being licensed to carry I still cannot carry when I go to the park.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or discharge any firearm, firecracker, rocket, torpedo or any other firework, airgun, BB gun or slingshot on or over any park.
      (Code 1967, § 17-4.1(a)(5); Ord. No. 974, § 1, 5-7-69; Ord. No. 1142, § 1, 12-7-71; Ord. No. 5288, § 1, 6-22-89; Ord. No. 5474, § 1, 2-22-90; Ord. No. 5515, § 1, 4-26-90; Ord. No. 5576, § 1, 7-12-90; Ord. No. 5853, § 1, 5-9-91)
      Cross reference— Fireworks generally, § 38-191 et seq.; weapons generally, § 66-26 et seq.

Contact the Texas AG’s office for an option on the City Ordinance being legally enforced. Take the opinion and some friends to a city council meeting and bring up the current law and that you would like it modified/changed to support current laws and avoid lawsuits to the city based on bad faith outdated local laws.

RoydRage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Baytown, Tx
    So basically what I'm gathering is still only 30.06, 30.07 and 51% are still the only signs that apply to CHL holders in this situations. I would have to be given a chance to leave or disarm to remark on the premises. This is what is inline with what I understood, just wanted to pick a few more brains on the matter and I will reach out seeking clarification from the city on this.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

If you wish to pursue this, call the Chambers County DA’s Office and ask for the Attorney in charge of this area. First, I’d request a letter of clarification, as the local law or “regultion” seems to be in conflict with current State Law.

That may satisfy your concerns more simply that demanding the “law” be changed.

Being a new resident has both advantages and disadvantages.

Good Luck !

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom