• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I bought my future retirement home about 2 years ago. It's on acreage in deep east Texas, about 25 miles from Lufkin. I'm talking deep and uncut!

I've got a 30 ft traditional antenna and get one tv channel regularly. Sometimes I get a second channel, and during the winter when the foilage is off the trees I get several more, but only at night when conditions are perfect. I basically get one channel.

My at&t cellphone works dependably.

What are my options for TV?

Would a hotspot and something like SLING or HULU connect to my TV and allow me to see local programming and such?

I'm not into professional sports and at my current home in Houston I have and am quite happy with a tradtional antenna and over the air coverage. I don't think that's an option here unless I go 60' plus!

My neighbors have either Satellite or cable, but I don't think cable is an option for me since I'm almost 1/2 mile off the road. And I really don't want to pay for Satellite.

Thanks for any info or insight you could offer

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    See if the cable company that your neighbors have offers broadband Internet. 1/2 mile is not that far to justify a cable drop is many rural areas.

If so, you can use a smart TV, or device like Roku, AppleTV, etc to pick up both local and many cable channels over the Internet connection.

I'm in a small, but steep valley here in AR, have no antenna reception at all, but pay for an Internet connection only from the local cable provider. Even though I'm in AR, I get Houston stations using GoogleTV.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Honestly satellite is probably your best bet. Close friends of ours have a cabin way off the beaten path in SE OK that we go to often. Their satellite provider (DirecTV I think) set a dish up there on the same account they use at home and it's a nominal extra fee every month, like $5 or so. They just have to bring a box with them when they go to hook up and get the same programming they get at home. I know several people who do the same thing at their deer leases or ranches.

Of course you'd have to get satellite at home too and it sounds like you don't want or need it. But you could get the cheapest package available.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have DirecTV at my home on town and I rent an extra reciever for about $6/month and I have the same service at my ranch house in the country.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As sad as it may sound, TV becomes many older folks only company.
    Not too bad so far ... have a wife in Texas, but not one in AR, yet; a pup, a fishing boat, internet connected TV news, and an old Marine gunny neighbor I get to trade insults with over drinks every night.

Life’s good ... in no particular order.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Satellite could be the best option, but be prepared to pay about $100 a month unless you can get one of their introductory deals. If you are going to want internet and TV, cable may be a better option if they will string a line to your house. It's still gonna cost you at least $100 a month tho.

Satellite internet sucks. I'm talking to you HughesNet.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    Satellite could be the best option, but be prepared to pay about $100 a month unless you can get one of their introductory deals. If you are going to want internet and TV, cable may be a better option if they will string a line to your house. It's still gonna cost you at least $100 a month tho.

Satellite internet sucks. I'm talking to you HughesNet.
    absolutely 1000% TRUE! hughesnet, wildblue, et al

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Parents had Hughesnet at their farm.
    Maybe its gotten better, but it sure sucked last time I looked.

Gonna second this experience with satellite based internet.

We are in an area where we can’t even get dial up. Tried Satellite and it was expensive, the bandwidth limits made its use for TV/movies out of the question. Even using it for work/browsing gave us problems.

Unless there have been some major changes I wouldn’t touch it. Our experience was with Wildblue. By the time our contract ended and I called to tell them to shut it off the company was under new ownership and tried to sell me higher speeds with a lower data limit for more money.

That said, Elon Musk is working on his Starlink internet service. It’s supposed to create a satellite network that will provide high speed internet service to just about every corner of the globe at a reasonable cost. I’m interested to see where it goes and how it compares to other satellite options. For now, I wouldn’t recommend satellite service to anyone simply based on my past experiences.

As far as getting drops for high speed. We have fiber optic lines running in the ditch in front of the house. There is high speed internet a quarter mile up the road at the corner and a mile away in the other direction. I’ve called, they would do nothing for us. Even offered to pay for the installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I bought my future retirement home about 2 years ago. It's on acreage in deep east Texas, about 25 miles from Lufkin. I'm talking deep and uncut!

I've got a 30 ft traditional antenna and get one tv channel regularly. Sometimes I get a second channel, and during the winter when the foilage is off the trees I get several more, but only at night when conditions are perfect. I basically get one channel.

My at&t cellphone works dependably.

What are my options for TV?

Would a hotspot and something like SLING or HULU connect to my TV and allow me to see local programming and such?

I'm not into professional sports and at my current home in Houston I have and am quite happy with a tradtional antenna and over the air coverage. I don't think that's an option here unless I go 60' plus!

My neighbors have either Satellite or cable, but I don't think cable is an option for me since I'm almost 1/2 mile off the road. And I really don't want to pay for Satellite.

Thanks for any info or insight you could offer

Try this link. Enter the nearest zip code and then you can move the blue pointer on the map over where you actually are. It then displays all stations and directions to them. I found just 3 withing a general rural area around Lufkin. Your results will be more accurate. There is also a check box for antenna above 30 ft. Make sure to check that.

edit for link I forgot: https://antennaweb.org/Address

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    What are your options for broadband, besides your cell phone?
    I don’t see this mentioned in your post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom