• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Exploring all things mechanical. I came across the below video. In the video it shows how to blacken' low carbon steel. He list a temperature of 300-400°C. That's 572-752°F.

Fast forward to 5:30 mark for the demonstration. (He repeats the process on multiple parts.)

Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I saw that same process in his vise restoration video I watched last night. His videos make me want to buy lots of tools.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I tried the black finish on a small metal bracket that hold a reflector. Low carbon steel.

I set up a propane torch on the grill. Tuna can and olive oil. Using a Fluke 568 IR Thermometer, heated it up to about 500-600°F. Placed in the oil.

It didn't take. I sanded and cleaned it fairly well. It took a smokey looking patina. The darkest part was the side that made first contact with the oil. I tried twice and the same results both times.

I'm guessing it needs to be hotter. Pushing at least 700° before it go's to the oil.

Ill try it again on something else. I gave up and painted the bracket.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I tried the black finish on a small metal bracket that hold a reflector. Low carbon steel.

I set up a propane torch on the grill. Tuna can and olive oil. Using a Fluke 568 IR Thermometer, heated it up to about 500-600°F. Placed in the oil.

It didn't take. I sanded and cleaned it fairly well. It took a smokey looking patina. The darkest part was the side that made first contact with the oil. I tried twice and the same results both times.

I'm guessing it needs to be hotter. Pushing at least 700° before it go's to the oil.

Ill try it again on something else. I gave up and painted the bracket.
    700° would be too hot. Try rubbing boiled linseed oil on it around 500°. Dunking doesn't work as good as rubbing. Might have to reheat and apply a few coats to get it where you want it.

Top Bottom