Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have very little of expensive rounds. For stuff that's sufficiently cheap that it's easier to buy than reload, I tend to stock up.
    • 9mm and 7.63x39
      • At least 20K each of factory ball/practice ammo
    • .22LR
      • Something north of 20K, mostly higher-quality stuff
    • 9mm and .357 Mag premium defensive ammo
      • A couple of hundred factory rounds.
    • 6.5BR, 7x47, .308 subsonic, .35 Remington, 7BR, .221 Fireball, .44 Mag, etc.
      • Just a few but I can easily assemble what I need for a range day or a match
    • .38 Special wadcutters
      • A few thousand factory rounds and enough brass to keep me reloading forever.
    • .38AMU and original .44AMP factory loads
      • 50 rounds or less in the factory boxes that I'll never shoot. Everybody collects something, right?
    So, like Cam said, it varies.

To specifically answer the OP, my opinion is that you need enough cheap ammo (factory or handloads) to keep yourself in practice. You need enough premium defensive ammo to make sure your gun likes it and you have enough to fill a dozen mags of each.

Once you start reloading, your perspective on the numbers will change depending entirely on what you want to shoot in the greatest quantity.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I just restocked my ammo for the next 8-10 months.

- One case (5,000 rounds) of "regular" ammo for practice and local matches.
    - Two bricks (500 ct. X2) of higher grade ammo I use for bigger state/regional matches.

I also have ~2,000 rounds of odds and ends; stuff I don't normally shoot and just have on hand for testing and whatnot.

I usually re-order when I'm down to my last brick or two since the lead time between ordering and delivery is usually only 3-5 days.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    In a perfect world, I would have at least one million rounds of everything I use. In reality, about 5-10K of various .22lr. At least 1K of various 9mm and at least 1K of 5.56 and .223 mix. A box of .38 spcl. or .357 mag here and there when I have the cash. And the same for whatever shotgun I have. And again the same for .380 ACP and 7.62x39.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I try to keep 2K of the main center fire calibers I shoot. Around 8K for the .22lr. I probably have way too much 12 gauge Buck, about 1K rounds.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How much do you shoot a month?

How difficult do you anticipate finding the ammo you shoot to be replaced?

How much do you always want on hand?

No set answer to your question.

ETA: How much money can you afford to be sitting idly in a closet?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Me personally I keep a toughbox full of ammo of select various calibers. Thing probably weighs close to 300 pounds. That's the "oh shit box" and then I just buy want I'm going to shoot in the next 6 months.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It's cheaper to buy the 1000 round box of whatever you shoot. When I get down to 100-200 I order more.

Hunting rounds are much lower. I have 38 rounds of the 50 30-06 bullets I loaded two years ago. That box will last around 5 years or more.

I don't have any exotic calibers, but I suspect I would likely have just a few if I did have one. Mainly because most are expensive to shoot.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    OP, are you referring to how much to have on hand for the "it hits the fan" scenario?

You will have to be the one to make that determination. And finances may enter into the equation.

For handgun ammo, probably somewhere around 500 rounds per gun can be a starting place. For rifles, probably double that at least. Some here will likely say these numbers are far too low.

Ammo has a great shelf life though. You can always pass it on to the next generation.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Some questions in life have no one true answer.

Only you......will know when you have enough.......

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    How close do you live to a population center full of people that can't fend for themselves?

Zombie apocalypse aside I like 20k in my SHTF calibers (9mm, .40, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39). Goal of 10k in 7.62x51. 1k minimum on all the other stuff. Goal of about 25k total for all rimfire (17hmr, 22lr, 22wmr)

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    So, you have 66 mags for all your handguns?

I do actually have more than enough magpul mags to load 1k .223/5.56.
    Good question is how many handgun mags do you keep. I try for a minimum of 20 but that's tough for me to justify on guns I rarely shoot with more expensive mags.

Top Bottom