• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I knew a gal in Colorado who could draw and fire her SA Colt hit three targets before I could hit one. She was the World Champion Quick Draw Shooter.. but DAMN!!! ;)
    Shows what practice and muscle memory can achieve.
    I have enjoyed this thread.. lot's of wisdom and some humor.. THANKS guys!

(and no I am not slow and have won some competitions myself-though not quick draw McGraw nor Deputy Dog she was just that good)
    Target Sports

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Let me ask this, how many gunfights, in this century (and not those in movies or in TV shows) can anyone here document wherein the shooters tried to outdraw each other. If confronted by someone drawing a gun or already having one out are you going to stand 10 feet (the distance given by the OP) away from your antagonist and then try to outdraw him to get in the first shot like in a western movie or are you gong to do something else? While standing your ground and drawing may be the only option in some extremely rare instances, there are often better options. For me, among my first actions, while drawing, are that: I am moving, seeking and going to cover, assessing, shooting if necessary when I can shoot. To even think, as the OP thinks, you are going to stand there like you do and are only allowed to do at the firing line, at most public ranges, shows you the probable mentality of the OP - juvenile and little, very little, experienced. Don't fall into his trap by thinking that his way is the way to do it. Standing your ground and speedily & properly drawing is great if your only option, and may rarely be the only way to do it, but do not stand there waiting for the other guy to shoot you if you can avoid standing there facing one another toe to toe, western shootout style, so to speak. I bring this up now, even though I realize he was banned because I would hate to think anyone took his advice as being from a serious poster who posted a serious topic with any real experience and knowledge of the subject.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    1. Pay attention to your surroundings. According to John Correia of Active Self Protection evidence based analysis and training: paying attention buys you time, and time buys you options. Given enough time, one option is GTFO.
    2. Notice people in your space or entering your space and pay attention to pre-attack indicators. If one recognizes those indicators, one can
    A. GTFO
    B. Pre-stage your own draw
    C. Move to cover
    D. Be first to the draw
    3. Once the BG (Bad Guy) has the drop on you, it is generally a bad idea to draw against the drop (a drawn gun)
    A. Compliance is an option (this may or may not work, but it's your choice)
    B. Wait your turn. If the perp looks away, a one second draw can score the first hit (and the first to make a good hit generally wins). If the perp turns head and shoulders away, a 2 second draw can score the first hit.
    C. Even an unarmed defender can win if the BG turns away and the defender has the skillz to do a disarm.
    4. Know your state's laws regarding use of deadly force.
    5. Don't follow a BG, for one thing they may have friends you didn't see.

Vid #1 of 200 on the ASP playlist:

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    1. Pay attention to your surroundings. According to John Correia of Active Self Protection evidence based analysis and training: paying attention buys you time, and time buys you options. Given enough time, one option is GTFO.
    2. Notice people in your space or entering your space and pay attention to pre-attack indicators. If one recognizes those indicators, one can
    A. GTFO
    B. Pre-stage your own draw
    C. Move to cover
    D. Be first to the draw
    3. Once the BG (Bad Guy) has the drop on you, it is generally a bad idea to draw against the drop (a drawn gun)
    A. Compliance is an option (this may or may not work, but it's your choice)
    B. Wait your turn. If the perp looks away, a one second draw can score the first hit (and the first to make a good hit generally wins). If the perp turns head and shoulders away, a 2 second draw can score the first hit.
    C. Even an unarmed defender can win if the BG turns away and the defender has the skillz to do a disarm.
    4. Know your state's laws regarding use of deadly force.
    5. Don't follow a BG, for one thing they may have friends you didn't see.

Vid #1 of 200 on the ASP playlist:

Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh Gunther - the ASP playlist of John Correia.

Of curse, adore him if you want.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm neither the fastest, nor the mostest accurate. 'Bout middle of the local IDPA pack. But in these SD situations, old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Just don't run from my wife... you'll die tired.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd like to be both. ;)
    I'd like to be younger, richer and good-looking again too, but I'll settle for being accurate over fast.

Some years ago, on another gun forum, a much younger member bragged a lot about how fast his draw and firing were, and how accurate he was.

I tried to explain that drawing and firing could end up being a curse, rather than a blessing if he wasn't careful. That if he wasn't careful, he might not properly identify a possible threat accurately, and end up shooting an innocent bystander instead.

Another point I tried in vain to tell him about was on the range, targets are not shooting back, and the adrenaline levels are no where near what they would be in real life or death situation.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'd like to be younger, richer and good-looking again too, but I'll settle for being accurate over fast.

Some years ago, on another gun forum, a much younger member bragged a lot about how fast his draw and firing were, and how accurate he was.

I tried to explain that drawing and firing could end up being a curse, rather than a blessing if he wasn't careful. That if he wasn't careful, he might not properly identify a possible threat accurately, and end up shooting an innocent bystander instead.

Another point I tried in vain to tell him about was on the range, targets are not shooting back, and the adrenaline levels are no where near what they would be in real life or death situation.
    I don't think anyone is advocating drawing and shooting at random.

But there are cases where a citizen has needed to draw quickly. I see absolutely no harm in practicing. The more I practice drawing and shooting, the more accurate I get. And if I can shoot accurately when drawing, I will shoot more accurately when not drawing.

And merely because I practice drawing does not mean I have to draw fast should a situation arise.

Agree on your last point, but all those things come into play whether you draw slow or fast.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    good-looking again

Should we change your screen name to "Pretty Boy"??? LOL

much younger member

Can't tell kids nuffin. They already know everthin!!!

If one trains, and practices active shooting, one hopes that if/when the need arises, training kicks in and overcomes the ill effects of adrenaline. I've found that IDPA competition puts the shooter under at least SOME amount of pressure, esp if there are moving targets coming at you. But perhaps paintball/airsoft with contenders actually shooting at me would be good. I think I'm too old for dat, but maybe when my grandkids come to visit I could oblige them in a fight or two.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom