• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Relatively new to my addiction I picked up a 44 Magnum. Between cost of ammo and more importantly wanting to experiment I got into reloading.

Best thing I ever did as my understanding of ballistics and firearms in general wouldn't be where it is today without reloading.
    Texas SOT

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A poor as a churchmouse teenager in the mid 1970’s stuck out in the country getting into town and getting an adult to purchase ammo was a chore not to mention expensive.
    Managed to get my hands on an old chopped down Bubbatized 1917 Enfield .30-06 that really was worse than it looked.
    Started out with a Lee handloader tool set, a box of bullets, primers, powder.
    Its a wonder I didn’t blow myself up.
    At the same time I was into flintlock muzzleloaders for the same Never have to into Town reasoning. I could make my own bullets easily by casting. Patch was old rags. Lube was Crisco swiped from Momma’s kitchen.
    Flint rocks were found out In the creek bottom.
    All I needed from town was powder.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I started with a lee loader in .243 to feed my Remington 700. A few years later I obtained a Lyman single stage press that you could either bench mount or use both arms/hands to operate. Used that for .38/.357mag and .44mag until a few years later I bought a lee pro 1000. Many rounds of .45acp and .38/.357 later when I had changed jobs and found myself with a some disposable cash I obtained my first Dillon. No longer have the Lyman, it would be a good portable single stage press. Although I have obtained several rockchuckers and another full size single stage press over the years. Finally got a second Dillon so I don’t have to change primer systems from large to small.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I started with a Lee Loadall too.
    The one I used was borrowed from a friend that had upgraded to a MEC.
    I was happy to have it. Reloading afforded me the opportunity to shoot 4 games of skeet a week instead of 2.
    I wasn't saving money as much as I got to shoot more.
    Now I have MEC progressives in 12, 20, 28 and .410.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    There is a different between a lee loader and a lee loadall. The former allows your to reload a metallic cartridge using a hammer, primer, powder, and a bullet. It is a great SHTF and prepper item when you can’t carry a press with you. The load all is for shotgun shells.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I am just starting out with a Lee handloader. Plan on starting with my 45 Colt and learning on those. Bought the Speer, Hornady, Lee and Lyman loading manuals. Scales caliper, go/nogo gauges, powder, bullets, primers and some other odds and ends.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Ended up upgrading to a Lee Single Stage Press, Classic Cast Breech Lock and the tripod reloading stand. Bought all the dies for my calibers (9mm, 45acp, 45 Colt, 38/357, 223, 308). Found a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo in like new condition for $200. Bought some calipers and gauges for checking. Went up to BassPro and got some Unique powder and bullets for 45 Colt. Studied all my manuals and instructions and ran up a batch of 45 Colt (100 rounds). Everything came out great except for one round where the bullet got pushed too far into the case. Bullet puller to arrive tomorrow to correct that. That RCBS Chargemaster sure worked well and really cut down my time I would have spent weighing out every powder charge manually. Going to shoot some 9mm this Saturday so will try some of those next.

B8NIs2r.gif

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    About 5 years ago during all the ammo madness my dad got into reloading. That year for Christmas he bought me a Lee single stage. I put it in a box in my garage. Figured I would wait and let him buy me the other stuff for future birthdays and Christmases. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and he texts me and says he bought everything for me to get started.

I go out to the garage and pull out the rusted up press (humidity sucks) and soaked it for a week. Got it all freed up and working before he brought everything to my house. Now everything is inside and mounted to a table I bought for $40 at a thrift store. 300 rounds later, it's become a hobby.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm getting closer. Decided on a press, a Lyman Brass Smith All American 8. I am bidding on a few items on flea bay now to start building my setup.

I've decided on caliber and most equipment. Need to decide on how I want to tumble and then finish buying gear.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought a 44 Mag and shot a box. I couldn't shake a hand the next day my hand hurt so bad.

My cuz told me about reloading and reduced loads. Showed me how. I Shot Rucker lead bullets for years.

Saved me a ton of money.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Unfortunately I have never reloaded anything. I just don’t shoot enough to justify the time to reload. I’ve probably shot 40-50 rounds since July. I probably shoot around 1000 to 1500 rounds a year with most of those from a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Around 1978, while still in high school, my police officer Uncle helped me purchase a new Ruger Service Six in .357. I could not afford to feed it.

He also loaned me a Lee Loader on which I loaded many thousands of .38 special ammo. That was my start.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I had started my handgun collection with a Single Six, and the .357 was my first center fire revolver.

Later, a small local shop sat me up with a free Pacific press and a set of dies. A .45 Colt soon followed.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    My grandpa reloaded rifle and pistol, dad reloaded shotgun.

I grew up with it. I can remember when I was finally big and strong enough to pull the handle on the Mec to make my first shotgun shell (I was still too small to shoot a 12, but I could crank out the shells!)

Grandpa taught me to reload rifle. He weighed every powder charge. It was time consuming, but it was an excuse to hang out together, and listen to old Hank Williams records in the gun room.

After grandpa died, I didn’t reload for a few years. I picked it back up some years back, along with my buddy. We shared the expense of some of the more expensive tools and books. We still share tools, though each of us has a pretty exceptional setup nowadays.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    A member on here have me a Lee single stage press, a set of .357/.38 dies, a reloading book and some good advice. First loads were some wadcutters after Ben showed me what the crimps were supposed to look like. I became addicted after shooting those. Saving money on .357 & .44 mags sunk me deeper. The final straw was starting to load precision rifle rounds. I find it extremely satisfying to dial in a load for a rifle, and the only reason I buy factory rifle ammo anymore is primarily for the brass.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    My story starts in 1993. Fresh out of the military and low on funds it occurred to me that if I wanted to be able to shoot my one and only handgun, a S&W 1006 10mm ,I was going to have to learn to load my own ammo.

Luckily at the time we had a local department store with a good sporting goods department that sold reloading gear and components. I bought a Lee anniversary kit, set of dies , Rucker brand 180 gr. lead bullets, powder & primers.

Also bought s Speer reloading manual. Young people today have no clue what a blessing the internet is, instant access to knowledge about any subject. I had that one book.

The first problem encountered was the cheesy scale included with the kit, it was pretty much worthless. The guy at the store recommended a RCBS scale (still use it) and was able to get going.

I still remember firing that first round off at my mothers friends house not knowing what was going to happen but it went off without a hitch and life was good.

Anyone remember the primer famine in the mid nineties ? Stopped everyday after work to buy my 200 primers ( daily limit per customer) that sucked.

Next came .38 &.357 when I picked up a Smith model 19 at a flea market , then 9mm for a FEG Hi Power clone acquired from a coworker. Then others, eventually wanting more volume ( or less work really) a Dillon 550B was the next big jump .

Of the original equipment bought, the powder measure, manual and hand priming tool are about all that remain. That first press eventually broke, probably could have been repaired but was a good excuse to upgrade to a Rock Chucker that's still in service.

What's your story?

My dad dabbled in reloading, IDK know why, he never shot enough to justify it.

I worked the summer of 1976 finance a complete new RCBS setup. Started out loading .357s for my Ruger OMBH.

Top Bottom