Holding rifle while tightening barrel nut.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    How are y'all holding your rifles while tightening barrel nuts? I know about the clamshell holders but the M4E1 upper doesn't fit in it supposedly.

I was supposed to borrow an action rod, but the guy fell off the face of the planet when it came time to get it.

Will clamping my barrel wreck the upper? I'm not seeing how it's much different from the action rod.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Put the upper in the vice parallel to the ground. Tape the vice and upper pretty well to prevent marring but not too much that it won’t hold.

I have both the reaction and BEV block. After snapping an index pin while removing a barrel, I’ll pass on those two things for barrel install and removal.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I have both the reaction and BEV block. After snapping an index pin while removing a barrel, I’ll pass on those two things for barrel install and removal.

I'm not doubting you but that's odd because both of those are supposed to prevent just that by going into the barrel extension.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Borrowed block....

Then my wrench slipped, FACK!

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
      IMG_2158.JPG
      1.2 MB · Views: 357

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I'm not doubting you but that's odd because both of those are supposed to prevent just that by going into the barrel extension.
    I believe it’s Ballistic Advantage that will tell you it voids their warranty if you use a reaction rod.

The blocks that hold them similar to what I described seem good to go. Also the perpendicular ones if they fit your particular receiver.

I’ve used the BEV block for many installations myself and still like it, now I understand their limitations though. I did a lot reading after I screwed that barrel up and really got into the weeds on builders and few seem to use rods or BEV blocks. I would suspect Geissele uses the rod on his builds, probably less power and more finesse though. Also, I was removing a very stubborn barrel and not installing. YMMV

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Filed the barrel nut smooth and put on the forend.

Attachments

• IMG_2161.JPG
      IMG_2161.JPG
      1 MB · Views: 356

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Got it fixed?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Yes Sir, I started to get in bed got mad thinking about it and took a file to the nut. Just hit it lightly until it smoothed out, hit it with a stiff brush real well(hope I got all the chips), and slapped the rail on.

I'll get a new nut if I ever rebarrel.

Top Bottom