• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I’m aware of how big a prairie dog is. I’m also aware of what they look like at 200-300 yards. I shoot squirrels and crows at that distance for the challenge.

The last few years, folks have decided that they need a whole lot of magnification. Prairie dog shooting has been going on for decades, and a 10x scope was as much as folks used for a long time. It wasn’t that long ago, that the military was using 10x to engage targets at 1,000 and more meters.

More magnification doesn’t necessarily mean you will increase your accuracy or your hit ratio. Do some reading and research before you make your final decision.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I’m aware of how big a prairie dog is. I’m also aware of what they look like at 200-300 yards. I shoot squirrels and crows at that distance for the challenge.

The last few years, folks have decided that they need a whole lot of magnification. Prairie dog shooting has been going on for decades, and a 10x scope was as much as folks used for a long time. It wasn’t that long ago, that the military was using 10x to engage targets at 1,000 and more meters.

More magnification doesn’t necessarily mean you will increase your accuracy or your hit ratio. Do some reading and research before you make your final decision.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

He’s already got it. See posts 37 & 38.

jw455

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2017
    Riverton
    I was hoping to get some specific models suggested
    We have a couple of scopes in your price range that we hunt critters and game with. The Lucid Optics 4-16 x 44 and the Lucid Optics 6-24 x 50. We never touch our dials and love the reticle. I especially like the Lifetime Warranty just in case. The optics are in your price range and are tough. We've been using them for years and Love the company.
    Good Luck.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Most of my scopes are Vortex Diamondbacks... i really like the clarity of them for the price.
    A buddy up at work that shoots long range came across a new company called Athlon scopes & says he likes them a little better than his Vortex he normally shoots. He says they compare to Nightforce or Leupold on the clarity... but cheaper on the wallet.

W5LF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter -204 Ruger
    Definatley going to hunt prairie dogs with it plus any other critter like fox, and yotes

View attachment 132962

My budget is $400-500 and I am partial to Nikon and Vortex
    I don't think I would like anything with less than 16X for prairie dog hunting
    Also I don't plan on doping the scope, because I will know the ballistics of my loads so I will depend on a good BDC for holdover, so I want more of a set and forget scope

To me, it would be how much light do you need and how well your known point of impact is for the distance(s) involved. At my age (68) light is more important than ever, once the known POC
    is know for the ranges. I still enjoy Leupold and Vortex.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    To me, it would be how much light do you need and how well your known point of impact is for the distance(s) involved. At my age (68) light is more important than ever, once the known POC
    is know for the ranges. I still enjoy Leupold and Vortex.
    Since you replied to a thread from back in May I will update you.
    The Nikon I bought worked great on my prairie dog hunt in June
    I was a good scope for the job at hand and with the Spot On ap, we dialed in fast and started smoking them.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Always a fan of the Nikon Monarch. Bought one with an adjustable objective. Sight it in at 100 yds. Then when you shoot, turn the AO dial to the proper distance. Works great.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Better off,
    Send me a Vortex and if I like it, I will sell the Nikon and send you the money I get for it, less shipping and handling of course.
    I get the feeling you don't have my best interests in mind with that particular offer.

Next time I am up that way I will let you check a few scopes out.

Top Bottom