• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I want to buy an Ipad , just to surf the web at home mainly.
    I just want the wifi version, not the 3g and I like the Pro size. I just don't know what a good deal is on one. My son bought a refurbished one on Amazon for school for $400, it came in and looked and worked like brand new
    I just don't want to buy one and find out it was made in 2012 or something.
    I would like to keep it under $500
    Any advice you can give me would be apprecitated
    Venture Surplus ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you want a tablet. ipads pale in comparison to android devices... but if youre not very tech savvy i guess an ipad will do...

Yes, I want a tablet, with at least a 10 inch display

I've had a Samsung Tab A that I bought new 2.5 years ago.
    It's slowing down and the battery is failing. I've done all i know to do to keep it running, but it's at the end ...
    My son's Ipad runs rings around this thing and it's just as old

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    iPad vs Android is a ever-lasting argument and neither side has many valid reasons over the other. It's mostly fanboy stuff. I've owned every major operating system that is mobile and none of them are perfect.

Buy what you want. iPads are generally more user friendly. When I buy iPads or Android tablets I generally buy direct from the manufacturer if possible or from Amazon after seeing the MSRP from the manufacturer's website.

A regular iPad isn't bad but the Pro is overpriced in my opinion. You could have an Android for cheaper but then have to deal with the nuances if you are not technical in nature. If you really want an iPad, buy from Apple directly. Most cities have stores for Apple but online is what I prefer as I can specify the criteria I want. For example, while it wasn't an iPad, I bought a Macbook Pro about 7 years ago form Apple directly since I needed specific internals. With iPads, this won't be an issue though.

The basic iPad, not the mini, has a 9.7" screen. If 10 inches if your cutoff, you are going to need to go to the Pro. However, here are the links:

Regular iPad: https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/ $329.00 (Base model without additional memory)
    iPad Pro: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro $649.00 (Base model without additional memory)

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    On phones, it's the same toss-up depending on which features are important to you. FWIW, I have no dog in this hunt, I have both an iPhone and a Galaxy S 9+ and like both platforms a lot.

But... On tablets, there's no contest - iOS is light years ahead of Android. Wheres on iPad everything works right and like you'd expect, Android tablets are very much a second class citizen to the phones. Sure, things still work - but they are only kinda right, as often the apps were not built with the intention of running on a tablet. So you're stuck with an awkwardly sized up phone interface.

I will say this, Apple refurbs are the way to go. You are getting the exact same quality as a new unit, a new chassis, new battery, and the same warranty. I always steer people to the Apple refurb store to hunt for deals. They don't always have every model in stock, and the deals aren't always super awesome, but it's a reliable way to save a few bucks. They're also very clear about which model you're getting and when the particular model was first released.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad is a great place to shop. It will tell you when that model first started shipping.

Here's a pretty good deal IMHO

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FPGW2LL/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

Most of our staff and faculty personally buy off this page, the University can't because they don't accept POs. You don't get a white four-color box, just a brown cardboard one with black printing, but otherwise it's the same, including AppleCare and take it to the Apple store for a fix if you need to later down the road.

My 2¢

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    iPad vs Android is a ever-lasting argument and neither side has many valid reasons over the othe
    Not true. Apple is intrusive and offers no real way to truly keep you're information private to just you. With an android and you have to know what apps and tricks to use, you can run a pretty basic OS and be undetectable if need be. Even with the phone on and GPS active. I run some pretty unique programs in case s does hit the fan and we still have cell service with a government that means us harm.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I have a 10" Samsung pad and like it a lot, but I am not a heavy user, mostly books, games, calendar and email when I travel, and a photo album to show my friends, but not as a camera. It is not a phone.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Not true. Apple is intrusive and offers no real way to truly keep you're information private to just you. With an android and you have to know what apps and tricks to use, you can run a pretty basic OS and be undetectable if need be. Even with the phone on and GPS active. I run some pretty unique programs in case s does hit the fan and we still have cell service with a government that means us harm.

I believe you have that backwards. iPhone stores personal data but most of it never leaves the device and you don’t have to know tips and tricks for that. Android on the other hand is Google based and they whore your info out to anyone and everyone willing to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad is a great place to shop. It will tell you when that model first started shipping.

Here's a pretty good deal IMHO

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FPGW2LL/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Gold

Most of our staff and faculty personally buy off this page, the University can't because they don't accept POs. You don't get a white four-color box, just a brown cardboard one with black printing, but otherwise it's the same, including AppleCare and take it to the Apple store for a fix if you need to later down the road.

My 2¢
    good link , but I want the Pro Size with the slightly bigger screen.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I believe you have that backwards. iPhone stores personal data but most of it never leaves the device and you don’t have to know tips and tricks for that. Android on the other hand is Google based and they whore your info out to anyone and everyone willing to pay for it.

This 100%. Apple, if anything resisted that garbage. That doesn't mean they still don't data mine for themselves. However, Google is open that they use your information. In the end, get what you want. I've been in the IT industry for a long time, if you are worried about personal data being mined or shared, get rid of anything network based eletrical, optical, RF, or otherwise.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

Unless you use internet phone services Google is only recording your browsing history and avoiding that is easy as pie. There is just simply more choices to make sure no data if need be is known to a third party, on android.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just saw that the Walmart store here has the Ipad Pro 10.5" in 64GB for $588 brand new.
    Any chance its a knock off or some cheaper type of Ipad that only sells through Walmart ?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I just saw that the Walmart store here has the Ipad Pro 10.5" in 64GB for $588 brand new.
    Any chance its a knock off or some cheaper type of Ipad that only sells through Walmart ?
    With Apple you aren't going to get the "Walmart special" like they do with TVs and such. Apple builds their own unlike Android which has many different manufacturers. Now that doesn't mean it didn't come from China, its just the Apple has a tight grip on who builds their own products.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Whoah. You're not just wrong, you're WAY wrong.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Unless you use internet phone services Google is only recording your browsing history and avoiding that is easy as pie. There is just simply more choices to make sure no data if need be is known to a third party, on android.
    This is not even remotely close to accurate. Google is nearly as bad as Facebook with data mining.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom