• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeudeMann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2019
    San Antonio
    Hello all, new to the board, born and raised Texan.

So I have been shooting a long time, and recently have been playing around with 300 BLK and 224 Valkyrie in an AR15 platform. The main thing I like about the AR is the modularity, and how easy it is to collect a variety of parts from multiple sources and have it all assemble and work well together.

I also do some suppressed hunting with the 300 BLK with subsonic and supersonic ammo. For subsonics I use the Lehigh 194 gr max expansion bullets in handloads. I also handload for the 224V.

I have shot the 224V out to 1000 yards and am getting into PRS style shooting.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

DeudeMann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2019
    San Antonio
    Yeah I was wondering about the wisdom teeth comment. Ha! No, they are long gone.

I'll post up more later on the 300 BLK hunting. But there are some good youtube videos showing ballistic gel testing with the Lehigh 194 and other bullets developed specifically for 300 BLK subsonic. Some of them are devastating. There are also some videos of people killing hogs with 300 BLK. I'll post some links.

Lehigh bullet testing.

"Maker" has a similar bullet that works well.

Hickok45 playing around with 300 BLK suppressed. He's a fan.

Hog kill with 300 BLK Lehigh. DRT.

DeudeMann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2019
    San Antonio
    Welcome to TGT.

Interested in more info on your 224 Valkyrie.
    Sure, what do you want to know?

So I have two... One is a Savage MSR15 which I might sell the upper for. The other is one I built with a lot of different components from all over. AR Performance barrel, Gibbz upper (side charging), Elf trigger, etc.

I have been developing ammo for the custom one mostly, with long range shooting in mind. Longest shot so far was a 36" x 36" target at 1000 yards in a 15mph cross-wind. That was a handload with a Hornady 80gr ELD-M bullet and H4895 powder. When I do my part it is a sub-MOA gun. I also have a McGowen 26" heavy barrel on the way for that same rifle. That will really give it some long legs.

DeudeMann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2019
    San Antonio
    Welcome to the forum, Sir! I'm a fan of the 300BLK, especially if it's suppressed!

Yep that is how I am using it! It is really quiet with the right subsonic ammo. I have been finding that a lot of the off-the-shelf ammo is too fast, say over 1000 fps, and is considerably louder since it is in the transonic region. Ammo under 900 fps is a lot quieter, even though they are both subsonic.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Howdy. Just us for the next SAT lunch; tentatively May 24th.

Might move that a week earlier since the 24th kicks off Memorial Day weekend.

Top Bottom