• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If you use Office365, you have access to OneDrive from Microsoft.

If you have a Google Account, you have access to Google Drive.

Dropbox, Box, etc. Some prohibited by corporate policy, but that's just for the app. You can always use the web site to upload/download things one by one.

If you can install the app, it auto-syncs stuff to the cloud.

I moved my /Documents folder ("My Documents on Windows" - I'm on a mac) to my OneDrive folder on every Mac I own so that what I do on one is immediately reflected on the other (laptop on the road, desktop at home) without any need to manually sync, move or email files.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the issue that I would hit with something like that would be data usage. We run on Hotspots and I got in trouble once by going over (used 43gigs on a 5gig plan). Normal use pushes us over anyways.

Technically, we have a data pool that is used by all the hotspots totaling 5gigs per device, but many connect their computers to home or office wifi when available freeing up the data that we use over 5gigs in our daily work.

If I were to start backing everything up over wifi I'm sure I would push my I suave back over what they want or expect me to use.

There's not a good option for Internet service at home either so that would cause another issue with backing it up to a home computer.

The last issue is that I generally avoid any cloud type services whenever possible. Wouldn't want any pictures getting out :p

Sent from my HAL 9000

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Yep. Very useful software to have in your tool box for BSOD errors.
    Have some 40 storage/system hard drives from various audio work stations and servers down through the years.
    Have used SpinRite successfully a number of times to retrieve files, and to even maintain the integrity of some of those old drives.

Why I recommended on post #15. Takes a LONG time sometimes but I've been using SpinRite to save disks longer than I care to admit.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't really care to save the hard drive once I get the things I wanted off. I have a new one on its way now from IT.

Picked up a new 32GB thumb drive to back everything up on and keep in a safe place. I'll just back up to it from time to time, I don't have years worth of photos or anything to save.

Sent from my HAL 9000

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Don't know what that is, but if it raises the cost of the computer we will never have it.
    Solid state drives don't have spinning disks so they aren't susceptible to vibration and shock in the same ways. It would actually save them money in the long run because they don't break nearly as often. The good news is that many new laptops are coming with them standard now so in the future your equipment will be more shockproof.

If you're using an external drive for backups, I'd recommend getting a solid state one for the same reasons. Conventional hard drives just don't like being moved around.

The last issue is that I generally avoid any cloud type services whenever possible. Wouldn't want any pictures getting out
    Like I always told my daughter... Don't ever take any pictures you wouldn't want me to see.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Hope you recovered everything. I always used a Ubuntu USB stick when my windows would fail. I would choose the boot option as USB before HDD and I would get into Ubuntu interface after that I would just fish around until I discovered the path to my windows partitions. Best thing that I did for backup is a Western digital 2Tb external drive, has a USB 3.0 and you can download data from your computer at anywhere from 20 Mbps to 100mbps. Also it has a really good encryption system so even if you have sensitive data, using a multiple characters password would make it unusable to a thief. For small files Dropbox is still the best but annoying when the time comes to restore the data on a computer. If you need any other help I'll be pleased to tell you what I know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got the last file overnight. All my videos. File was 27gig so I started it and let it run overnight.

Gonna do some snooping around but I think I've got everything.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Top Bottom