• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm studying for the Technician license exam. My time in the army and around IT has helped quite the bit in the theory in the ARRL book that I bought. Its apparently their officially licensed book with the actual test questions spaced out across each subsection in the chapters. So far, I find most of it common sense but I have learned quite the bit.

My question is, how difficult is the actual exam? I know its 35 questions and I do fairly well on exams since I teach for a living. My notes book is covered in those sticky tabs and I keep reviewing material. I don't want to overstudy for the exam though.
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Sounds good, I always put myself in the stupid category and assume the worst. I've failed very few exams in my lifetime. I can take IT exams and pass them with a near perfect score but HAM radio is not exactly in line with what I do. My background came from the Army and understanding transmissions.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    Unless it has changed, you can fail at least one entire section and still pass. Just remember, they don’t put your score on the license — a pass is a pass.

The worst part about the test in the generation I took it was that there were some questions that you either knew or didn’t. Such as what is the frequency bands for operation in 40 meters. Or about the rules. Those are just hard to intuit or calculate. Memorizing that crap is the only way i could do it. The theory was a snap. Could almost cipher that stuff in my head.

Good luck on it. If I can help let me know

Tango
    N5vhr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah I got the HF. VHF, UHF bands remembered and they were not that hard. All of the bandwidth stuff was easy too. It's just the whole 10Log() crap that hosed me up for awhile. Once they said you could take a calculator in on the exam I was a happy camper. I'm only half way through the book right now, I will probably take the exam next month assuming I don't get bogged down in my last Masters class.

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I took it back in 2011. I studied for both the Tech and General and took them back to back in the same VE session. My studying was both the ARRL books and online practice exams. I'd take the practice exam and then go back and study the ones I missed in the books. Overall, aside from some memorization required (like the bands mentioned above), it wasn't bad at all...
    With your history, sounds like you'd be fine with some prep work!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm studying for the Technician license exam. My time in the army and around IT has helped quite the bit in the theory in the ARRL book that I bought. Its apparently their officially licensed book with the actual test questions spaced out across each subsection in the chapters. So far, I find most of it common sense but I have learned quite the bit.

My question is, how difficult is the actual exam? I know its 35 questions and I do fairly well on exams since I teach for a living. My notes book is covered in those sticky tabs and I keep reviewing material. I don't want to overstudy for the exam though.

TexasBrandon,

IF I can pass the tech test & I did in 1988, you can easily do so, as I'm FAR from expert in electronics/theory.

BEST WISHES, satx

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    There are some free online practice tests that are created from the official question pool. Once you read through the study material, you can go through those questions over and over again to give yourself a near 100% probability of passing the real test on the first try. If there's anything that you have trouble with, just memorize those questions and the answers. That should save you some time.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah Ive never been one to memorize questions and answers without at least understanding why the answer is what is shown. That being said, memorizing an entire book, even this small with this amount of material can be difficult so the question pool that is given in the book will be helpful. I also created an account on a ham exam site that uses the question pool you described. Assuming my final Masters degree class isn't too time consuming, I plan to test next month.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    How close are you studying? Saturday morning 16 March we are having a Ham swap meet at the community center in San Gabriel Park, Georgetown. We will be doing an exam session at 9AM.

I would suggest doing some practice exams like on hamexam.org, eham.net, qrz.com, several others. If you consistently do 90% or so, take the exam. In the Technician test you pass with 26 out of 35

Or just check it out. Not a big one, but a chance to meet some people and some pretty good door prizes. It does end by noon.

A few of us are meeting for breakfast at 7AM, Dos Salsas on University in Georgetown.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm about 20 minutes from Georgetown, I could see if I can make it down there. Its supposed to be nice so I would probably take my bike.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There's a study app for your phone called Ham Test Prep. It's pretty cool in that it tracks your mastery of the questions. I've been using that, and googling for more details on the questions I wasn't understanding.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'll take a look at it, I would like to test soon but I haven't finished the book and I don't want to take an exam and pass with general knowledge and not understand the little things. Its a lot of stuff to remember but looking at most of the questions, I can deduce what the answer is.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TexasBrandon,

IF I was to give you "unsolicited advice", I'd say get the license FIRST & learn more each time you are ON the air. = Hams are FRIENDLY & HELPFUL to newcomers with few exceptions. - Even OFs like me!!!

yours, satx

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    Here’s some more unsolicited advice....

If you can pass practice tests reliably at 90% or better, take the dang test.

Just my personality is i always want to ace any test i take. Just personal pride thing. But, practically, I always figured the first test is a throwaway to learn what is expected and see the format etc. there is no penalty for blowing the test. No waiting period. It used to be $20 bucks for the test fee.

My plan was to take the test in the morning session and turn around and take it again in the afternoon if i needed to. I didn’t.

You and the guy who scores your test are the only ones who know your score. The license looks the same if you pass with a hundred or a seventy one.

Trust me, in the world of appliance operator hams, 99% of the stuff on the test you will never need in the real world. And you know where to find it if you do...

TAKE IT
    Tango
    N5vhr
    Dmr texas network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I took my Tech test back in '97 then finally upgraded in 2007 to general.
    My wife who has NO electronic background (I call her the Technology Anti-Christ), passed her test 5 years ago and she can barely turn the radio on.
    I guarantee that if you read the manual over a weekend, you can pass.

It doesn't matter if you get 100% or 70%, the license looks the same.

N5ACK

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    How much is the exam fee?

The exam fee is $15. If you pass Technician, you can take the General exam for free. Even if you haven't studied for general, take it anyway. You could get lucky. If you pass General, take Extra for free. However, if you fail Technician, it's another $15 to take it again.

Oh, and I am one of the examiners tomorrow, old guy, grey, Wally.

Top Bottom