• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Got into ham radio a few months ago, surprised there is not a single ham radio thread that I could find here. Looking forward to ham field day next weekend (June 23rd), anyone know how that generally works?

I have a baofeng UV-5R with Nagoya antenna, and a TYT TH9800 quad band base station with Tram 1480 in the attic.

KG5ZOO in Humble (Houston), TX.
    Military Camp

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My 14 year old kid is into ham radio. I take him to a meeting once a month and I bought him a handheld radio.
    BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    I don’t understand anything about it though.

We will probably move forward with pursuing his interest. Just stalled out on spending any money in that direction right now. He is into building computers too so that’s caught his attention (and our pocketbook).

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Oh they make a big deal over Jake, being a kid. The guy that leads the group is an old high school friend of my brother’s anyways, so he oooh and ahhhs over my son being there.

They have given him all kinds of goodies and refurbished equipment and stuff.

Fosty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    I had a brief interest in this while looking for a new hobby.
    Perhaps I will get into this.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I got out of ham radio several years ago. Dad and grandpa were the ones that had the most interest in it. My call is KB5OTE. I'm one of the last true technicians before they made the testing requirements easier. I remember goi g to field day year after year. It has lost its appeal with me because of the cell phone. If independence day happens, I still have most of dad's gear.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Search ARRL site for a club/group in your area, there are a bunch here in the Houston area. If you aren't a joiner but do like to use repeaters around here, do consider helping out HAMS they operate and care for a lot of the open repeaters in this area. skfullen amature radio is easy to enjoy and with a little effort can be a great hobby. Just PLEASE Don't start with cheap / crap Beofung junk and get discouraged. Go for the General Class ticket at least, there a boat load of things to participate at that level and above. www.QRZ.com "the ZED" and www.eham.net are a couple of places to info over load on.

KE5PPH

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Never did take the test, mainly because I wanted to do stuff on bands that required morse to get the appropriate license (HF, and some high band / microwave stuff). Way back when, I had a Yaesu FT101e but I never transmitted. Well, on 11m I did, but who's keeping track lol.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'd love, and have always wanted to get into ham radio. I was big into cb in the 70's. Is it still doable?

I have a baofeng radio and it's just fine. I'd go with an 8 watt model if I was starting over. You can literally get into the hobby with a 30 dollar radio, 20 dollars of cable, and a 50 dollar antenna. Gear that works (may not be the best, but it does the job, especially with chirp software) is not expensive these days. The test is literally memorizing like 400 multiple choice questions (way harder than it sounds with the study websites these days). And you will learn important stuff studying for the test. I could have passed if given a weekend to study. I have hit repeaters 30 miles to the north and 30 miles to the south using my 50 watt base unit.

Diva, its actually a really great/clean/honest hobby to have, and not expensive to get into in order to learn a lot. Nothing like hitting that PTT (push to talk) button and throwing that callsign out for the first time.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Anyone that might be in the Rockdale area this weekend is more than welcome to drop into the Milam Amateur Radio Club's (KG5DUO) Field Day event.
    We're on the north side of 79, across from the Ford dealer... look for the antennas.
    Being as we're just a small club, we're making this more of a "social gathering", rather than getting into the competition thing.
    The various members will be "working" whatever radios they enjoy the most... and even if you're not licensed, it's a chance for you to try your hand at it... under the license of our club.
    I'll be doing digital... PSK-31 on 20 meters.
    Officially, it runs from 1 PM on Saturday until 1 PM Sunday, but the thought is that we'll do it from around 1 PM on Saturday until early evening and then start back up late mid-morning Sunday until around 4 PM.

The Milam Amateur Radio Club also runs a couple of 2 meter repeaters... one in Davilla at 147.00 MHz / PL Tone 123 and the other in Rockdale where Field Day is being held... 146.76 MHz / PL Tone 123.

Hope to see you.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Do you mind listing a few?
    Talk to people around the world! Talk locally to the local amateur radio club members and guests. Build antennas, radios, towers, etc. Support events locally as well as the surrounding areas. Monitor weather (anywhere in the world). Provide communications in emergencies. Etc., etc.

Last edited:

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Do you mind listing a few?
    Contact people in your area on vhf/uhf, hit linked repeaters and talk to people around the US.
    Contact people hundreds or thousands of miles away on HF. Be prepared to help your community in the event of an emergency. Be prepared to maintain comms if SHTF.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Anyone that might be in the Rockdale area this weekend is more than welcome to drop into the Milam Amateur Radio Club's (KG5DUO) Field Day event.
    We're on the north side of 79, across from the Ford dealer... look for the antennas.
    Being as we're just a small club, we're making this more of a "social gathering", rather than getting into the competition thing.
    The various members will be "working" whatever radios they enjoy the most... and even if you're not licensed, it's a chance for you to try your hand at it... under the license of our club.
    I'll be doing digital... PSK-31 on 20 meters.
    Officially, it runs from 1 PM on Saturday until 1 PM Sunday, but the thought is that we'll do it from around 1 PM on Saturday until early evening and then start back up late mid-morning Sunday until around 4 PM.

The Milam Amateur Radio Club also runs a couple of 2 meter repeaters... one in Davilla at 147.00 MHz / PL Tone 123 and the other in Rockdale where Field Day is being held... 146.76 MHz / PL Tone 123.

Hope to see you.
    Good possibility I'll be out that way Sat afternoon... How would I recognize you?

Top Bottom