• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    I'm going to be moving out of the nest soon (3-6 months?) and will no longer have access to the parental unit's safe. I've got my AR, my .22 rifle, my LCP II and my 92FS.

I don't have a lot of capital for a safe.

Supposing you're not allowed to bolt things to the wall, what do I do?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There is always under your mattress for your pistols. An AR broke down between up & lower can easily be hidden in a closet bu having it off a heavy wooden hanger & a coat put over it. Most .22 are easily replaced make that the bait gun they would steal if your burglarized. Don't be seen coming & going with guns is important. A dog is a great deterrent too.

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    That was a useful reply. Without bolting it down, it's not a safe, it's big, heavy suitcase. :-)

I don't mind bolting it to my own possessions (a bookcase? Something?), but I don't really know how apartments work on bolting things to the wall.

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    There is always under your mattress for your pistols. An AR broke down between up & lower can easily be hidden in a closet bu having it off a heavy wooden hanger & a coat put over it. Most .22 are easily replaced make that the bait gun they would steal if your burglarized. Don't be seen coming & going with guns is important. A dog is a great deterrent too.

My .22 is the takedown, so I imagine I can squirrel that away. But what about ready access of a firearm for home defense? I guess I'm really rethinking trying to get a small safe.

Cost parameters for a safe that can fit double that?

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    Perhaps in the short run, you could check Craigslist, Ebay, Gunbroker or even an estate sale to find a suitable safe. Even a container that camouflages what is inside may be better than nothing on a temporary basis. There are a couple of concealment tables on Amazon that aren't too pricey. Definitely not the perfect solution, but it might help.

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    Perhaps in the short run, you could check Craigslist, Ebay, Gunbroker or even an estate sale to find a suitable safe. Even a container that camouflages what is inside may be better than nothing on a temporary basis. There are a couple of concealment tables on Amazon that aren't too pricey. Definitely not the perfect solution, but it might help.
    I'll poke around, thanks.

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    IMO being being in an apartment puts you at greater risk of theft. More people to obverse you transporting your guns from moving or target shooting.

It’s life dude. Get insurance, buy a cheap safe, call it a night.

Always assume you’re being watched. Maybe you should buy none gun case, cases of some kind, so when you do go to and from your rig you aren’t saying hey criminals I have guns.

Also, don’t tell property management it’s a gun safe. Call it a floor safe. It’s where you keep your valuables that your father, who passed away and it’s the only thing you can remember him by; give them that story. If they want to install it, buy a dummy safe that backs up your story, later on, cover up the logos on the box so people can’t see it says gun safe, like a cheap 99 dollar one, and as you move it to your apartment, talk about how excited you are to get your new entertainment center. Similar box size.

Install big safe to hole patterns put in by management.

I follow you mostly. What's a hole pattern?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My .22 is the takedown, so I imagine I can squirrel that away. But what about ready access of a firearm for home defense? I guess I'm really rethinking trying to get a small safe.

Cost parameters for a safe that can fit double that?
    Keep you pistol where you sit & between the mattress & box springs when you sleep. When I went thru basic training we slept with our rifle while on bivouac. I did it until the wife moved in.

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    Keep you pistol where you sit & between the mattress & box springs when you sleep. When I went thru basic training we slept with our rifle while on bivouac. I did it until the wife moved in.

It's not very comfy to wake up with an AR jabbing into your side.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I follow you mostly. What's a hole pattern?
    I removed my comment cause I didn’t want you getting caught or kicked out. But to answer your question if you had them ok a floor safe install, a guy could swap out said safes and it be bolted in like you wanted. Leave after your lease is up and it’s just as they installed it when the safe is gone.

Edit: My comments were based on I would bet management would consider a floor safe for none firearm use vs a gun safe. A lot of left leaning politics that hear “gun” in gun safe and may reject your requirements to actually keep guns safe.

Last edited:

DragonClaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2019
    Texas
    I removed my comment cause I didn’t want you getting caught or kicked out. But to answer your question if you had them ok a floor safe install, a guy could swap out said safes and it be bolted in like you wanted. Leave after your lease is up and it’s just as they installed it when the safe is gone.

Oh. What about just a really heavy regular safe? My dad's safe's aren't bolted, I think...

Top Bottom