• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It still needs a little cosmetic stuff here and there, but it's functional and that's what I call "done". The rest is just icing at this point.

The history: About a year ago, a friend gave me an 870 Express receiver. Took me forever to get around to even starting this project, mostly because I had others, but now I've got all the parts in one place, and that place is inside or on the receiver!

156335_173560459338097_100000524322167_488642_5972403_n.jpg

155870_173560449338098_100000524322167_488641_6405685_n.jpg

Has some rust pitting on the right side of the receiver, so I need to draw-file flat and then put something on it to keep rust out. I'd like to Duracoat the whole sucker in tan or dark earth (more likely a combination of the two), but like I said - icing. Plans also include taller sights, possibly just a tall bead setup with a Picatinny rail on the receiver, though I'd like to go ghost ring.

Oh, you noticed the shiny bolt? Yeah, accidentally got a Marine Magnum bolt, so it's covered in electroless nickel. I think it looks OK (but don't care much) and I know that there's at least one part on the gun won't rust. Also, look close at the left side shot and you should be able to see where I reshaped the fore end to clear the side saddle. I cut it back, then took a rotary tool with a sanding drum and rounded everything, took the rest of the roughness off it with a Scotch Brite pad. Almost looks like it was made that way, till you get close enough to see the sanding drum marks I didn't spend enough time (and probably won't) polishing out with the Scotch Brite.

Most other parts are standard 870 stuff: 20" improved cylinder choke barrel (IIRC, I ordered a Mossberg-produced barrel because it was only $120) with 3" chamber (though I doubt I'll ever bother shooting 3" in it), Remington trigger assembly with an aluminum trigger guard, and Remington +3 extension. Aftermarket stuff is TacStar 6 round sidesaddle and a Knoxx Spec-Ops stock (the recoil reducing one). It works well, but gives you a pretty high cheek weld. But it's worth it to have that shotgun kick turned into a shove. You still get full recoil energy, you just get it spread out over more time.

Capacity is 7+1 (which means reduced recoil 00B lets me put 72 pellets on target in somewhere around 3 seconds).

So far, very happy with my shotgun, having just got the last part for it and put it together Friday and tested it today. Everything works as it should, the cheaper S&B buck patterned tighter and more uniformly than Remington, slugs went point of aim, the action is typical Remington smoooooooothness (part of that might be the grease I applied) and it didn't turn into a bomb when I pulled the trigger (always important on a project gun).

I can't believe I'd gone this long without owning a shotgun. I grew up with shotguns. My first gun was a shotgun at age 14. Feels good having a scattergun in the house again. She's not pretty on the outside, with a mix of blued, parkerized, textured aluminum, plastic and rust pits... but it works great and I'm more than pleased with myself.

Total build cost was right around what a base model 870 would run new. And might as well call this new, since everything except the receiver is brand new.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I was pretty impressed the first time I tried one. I like pistol grip stocks (spent too much time with my AK and ARs), so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

m24shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    I need to tell my friends that I am open to any firearms donations. Free guns (even receivers) are always appreciated.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    LOL, when I say receiver, I mean this sucker was bare of all parts except the ejector and stock nut. Every thing else but the slide (also rusty) was gone. Total blank slate.

If I stumble across something like this again, I'm going to Form 4 the SOB!

Top Bottom