Target Sports

FYI - Internet vendor sales compromised!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I have had to replace my Visa debit card 3 times over about the last 5 months due to it's information being stolen and unauthorized charges made. It took a while to track down which online vendor has the security leak as I do many online purchases but I now know who it was. Unfortunately Beretta USA's online web store has a security breach. I am in the process of informing them of the issue. The evidence was very clear as every one of the questionable charges all took place right after transactions made with Beretta USA's online website. Of course this has to happen with the company that I have the most firearms from. Anyway I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this. If I get additional information from Beretta USA about this I will let you all know.
    Target Sports

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Thanks - good to know! I am / have been checking their eStore daily, waiting to catch a particular magazine on sale. Now, maybe I’ll give them some time to get the issue squared away.

A few years ago (three or four), Cabela’s had an issue with someone stealing credit card info. I had my Cabela’s VISA card number stolen twice and used. (They have recently switched to Master Card and a different processing bank). Never anything on it, on the news. I always thought it was probably an “inside job” and they didn’t want the bad PR to make it out. I hope they caught the perp and put him/her in prison for a few years!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Hackers have been active.

I had to get a new card recently. No skin off my back, but some internet retailers had probably already shipped goods to the crooks.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Thanks - good to know! I am / have been checking their eStore daily, waiting to catch a particular magazine on sale. Now, maybe I’ll give them some time to get the issue squared away.

A few years ago (three or four), Cabela’s had an issue with someone stealing credit card info. I had my Cabela’s VISA card number stolen twice and used. (They have recently switched to Master Card and a different processing bank). Never anything on it, on the news. I always thought it was probably an “inside job” and they didn’t want the bad PR to make it out. I hope they caught the perp and put him/her in prison for a few years!

I have a feeling it's an inside job as you described. Every single questionable charge was the same $13.99 for Netflix. I think someone processing sales over at Beretta is trying to sneak in some Netflix time with my debit card. I could be wrong but someone somewhere want's Netflix. LOL

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    With my two Cabela’s experiences, both times it happened at Christmas time, one year apart. It’s the card I use to collect & pay some monthly recurring expenses on (so I get the points). [So far: three “free” pistols from Cabela’s]. So both times it wasn’t completely hassle free, due to having to notify the recurring charge places and setting up the new number with them.

In both cases the stolen cc number was used to make some purchases. In the first instance, the charges took place in a different state. So those charges were reversed with no problem for me. However, the next year it happened and the bogus charges happened relatively local (different city, but still in the DFW area). This was much more of a hassle for me. The credit card company required I file a police report and send them the report number - all because the stolen cc number was used “locally”. I provided the police report number and they cleared the charges immediately - but still, it was an extra hassle.

Fortunately I’ve had no further problems with Cabela’s - which is what makes me think they probably caught the bg (bad guy or girl).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With my two Cabela’s experiences, both times it happened at Christmas time, one year apart. It’s the card I use to collect & pay some monthly recurring expenses on (so I get the points). [So far: three “free” pistols from Cabela’s]. So both times it wasn’t completely hassle free, due to having to notify the recurring charge places and setting up the new number with them.

In both cases the stolen cc number was used to make some purchases. In the first instance, the charges took place in a different state. So those charges were reversed with no problem for me. However, the next year it happened and the bogus charges happened relatively local (different city, but still in the DFW area). This was much more of a hassle for me. The credit card company required I file a police report and send them the report number - all because the stolen cc number was used “locally”. I provided the police report number and they cleared the charges immediately - but still, it was an extra hassle.

Fortunately I’ve had no further problems with Cabela’s - which is what makes me think they probably caught the bg (bad guy or girl).

Interesting. All I have ever had to do (regardless of where the charge was made) was say "Nope. Not my purchase." Credit card company did all the rest. Of course, I have had that card for almost 30 years so perhaps that has some bearing.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Interesting. All I have ever had to do (regardless of where the charge was made) was say "Nope. Not my purchase." Credit card company did all the rest. Of course, I have had that card for almost 30 years so perhaps that has some bearing.

Yes you still contact them to dispute the charge and they eventually refund you the money. Apparently though they don't make the effort to track down the guilty party making the unauthorized transactions. Maybe they do that when the amount is high?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    m5215, you could be on to something there. The first time it happened in my case, the cc number had only been used at Kroger and one or two other places. The total amounted to just a few hundred dollars (<$500) before they got it shut down and stopped. In the second case, the cc number had been used to make some fairly sizable purchases ($2K or $3K).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes you still contact them to dispute the charge and they eventually refund you the money. Apparently though they don't make the effort to track down the guilty party making the unauthorized transactions. Maybe they do that when the amount is high?

Actually, the credit my account immediately.

Can't say about the law enforcement end of things. I suspect you are right.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Same here, except every time it happened they had to issue a new card/number.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have a feeling it's an inside job as you described. Every single questionable charge was the same $13.99 for Netflix. I think someone processing sales over at Beretta is trying to sneak in some Netflix time with my debit card. I could be wrong but someone somewhere want's Netflix. LOL

Netflix is a good test to see if the account is still active. It's a small charge, there is no shipping of anything and anonymous except for your info that is used.
    It's amazing how there are some people out there who only check their accounts every month and some of them who don't scrutinize the charges.

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Debit cards are dangerous. A credit card has much more protections for you. The biggest is you don't pay disputed amounts, but on a debit card it may already be out of your account and you have to wait for the resolution. The last time my debit card was stolen I had around 500-1000 bucks out for about 7-10 days. I have never used a debit card again, and do not own one now. I just pay the CC off every two weeks or so, so no balance or interest charges.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Debit cards are dangerous. A credit card has much more protections for you. The biggest is you don't pay disputed amounts, but on a debit card it may already be out of your account and you have to wait for the resolution. The last time my debit card was stolen I had around 500-1000 bucks out for about 7-10 days. I have never used a debit card again, and do not own one now. I just pay the CC off every two weeks or so, so no balance or interest charges.

Huh...I’m with usaa. My debit card had been hacked a few times over the years, most recently about a month ago to the tube of several hundred dollars.

The stolen funds were immediately put back into my account once verified that the charges were fraudulent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Huh...I’m with usaa. My debit card had been hacked a few times over the years, most recently about a month ago to the tube of several hundred dollars.

The stolen funds were immediately put back into my account once verified that the charges were fraudulent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine was hacked and replaced too but from another bank. However, I'm not sure every bank is so forgiving.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

USAA is the exception, otherwise his comments are spot on! It is much safer to use a credit card over a debit card!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Netflix is a good test to see if the account is still active. It's a small charge, there is no shipping of anything and anonymous except for your info that is used.
    It's amazing how there are some people out there who only check their accounts every month and some of them who don't scrutinize the charges.

I must have jinx myself.. Just got a $5 charge on my CC, one I use for online purchases , for a GoFundMe for some old lady who lost her house in a fire.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom