• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    what I want to know is if a coyote started stalking you, what would happen if you turned towards it and started charging full throttle? maybe a little war cry?

I'm guessing they'd back down, but I have obviously never tried it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Just pull a Mic Dundee
    Venture Surplus ad

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Schools are issuing whistles to teachers, not hockey pucks. Joggers should take a rabbit along.

Depends on the rabbit

tenor.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I walk early in the mornings (when it isn't cold). The singles don't concern me at all, it is the packs the worry me.

Well, it is mating season, so I'd expect to see more singles than normal, even later in the day than normal too. I believe February is their busiest month of the year for that.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    A normal coyote would turn tail and run as soon as you turned and moved towards it, war cry or not. You don't even have to move towards it, just look towards it and it's gone.

Kinda like if you were sneaking up around a bear and the bear turned and looked at you. Time to leave. Now if you lived near the bears for a while and discovered they were all worthless wimps, you'd start to get more brave, but there would still be a line because it's a freaking bear, unless you became sick or delusional. Same goes with coyotes and people.
    You don't even have to move towards it, just look towards it and it's gone.
    ================================================

I have found this to be very true. Oddly, in all my midnight wanderings, hogdoggin etc, I have never run across a coyote. Course there is always a crazy dog or a screamin ass pig involved. Prolly scares the crap outta a coyote.

Ive had contact with them at work and its like you said, the second they even "feel" you or you glance at them they are gone!

Kinda like if you were sneaking up around a bear and the bear turned and looked at you. Time to leave.
    ===============================================

Ok, story du'jor. THIS Ive done, didnt care for it whatsoever.

Hiking in N. New Mexico through a pass with high mountains on both sides. Boy Scouts, they all wanted to see a bear and I was lagging back a bit watching the high ground very carefully. Finally a movement caught my eye, as I honed in on it I realized it was a cub, then two. On a plateau about 1000 yds up, traversing as they played. As I scanned on across in front of them I came eye to eye with mamma (these were big browns, not blacks). She was sitting up on her haunches just watching me. The sudden shock/fear/anxiety I felt was VERY measurable.

A minute or so has passed, the troop has walked back to see whats up with me. I pointed out the bears. They were also taken aback by her stare.

After what seemed like a few good minutes, she had had enough. She was on a pretty good slope and just rolled forward and charged. I believe her first step covered about 50 ft down the side of that mountain, following steps covered more. Guessing she charged about 100 yds, maybe a bit more, and stopped, up on her haunches again.

e8d122076a0e230789916f4b2bef1078_384.png

This all literally happened in the blink of an eye.

Did NOT take 2 seconds, and I felt what it was like to be truly afraid and also what it felt like to NOT be at the top of the food chain. Didnt care for it at all.

She stayed there......we left in a big hurry.

Have had 3 other encounters with black bears...all non-eventful.

Attachments

• e8d122076a0e230789916f4b2bef1078_384.png
      e8d122076a0e230789916f4b2bef1078_384.png
      27.8 KB · Views: 242
    Last edited:

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    As the bad actor yotes didnt have rabies wonder if they checked them for canine distemper? That can make make them act goofy too. Not normally aggresive but can be. We had a big epidemic of it in this area mainly around Colleyville and Southlake a decade or so ago. Mostly affected coons and foxes who would come out and eat pet food off the porch in broad daylight and such things. Never saw a Coyote with it but they are a prime candidate to catch it. Link to an outbreak in East Texas.
    http://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...control-officials-warn-rise-distemper/720546/

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Somewhere near Crawford my wife and I came across a coyote about 200 yards away. It would follow us but would also maintain its distance. Every time I stopped and turned towards it, it would bolt in the opposite direction about 20 or so yards then turn around to see if I was still facing it. If not, it would turn back and follow us again. I finally had enough and started walking fast towards it. It wasn't until I ran a bit towards it that it finally left for good.

Top Bottom