• ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Heeeee’ssss back......

(OR more likely a different coyote). The CBS local news (channel 11) reported an adult male jogging early (6am -ish) was attacked and bitten by a wild-e-coyote this morning (29 January). They reported the guy was able to beat the attack off but not before he qualified for rabies shots. Same Eldorado and Preston Road area as before.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    City council is probably in a heated debate and asking the advice of lawyers weather the forthcoming signs stating coyotes are illegal in the city limits are required to have pictures or not to be enforceable since the coyotes may not be able to read.

On a more serious note, it seems odd that a single coyote would try and attack a jogger unless it was a) rabid, b) protecting something, c) startled by the jogger, or d) the jogger did something stupid like try to walk up and pet it.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    (See the previous thread). They got that one... even though the news media never publicized exactly what or how its demise was brought about. [Most of us, in the area, think it was shot by *somebody* - but the news didn’t want to report that vigilantism]. This is not a “one-off” situation for this particular area. All victims have been joggers or walkers in the morning (except for the one or two kids that have been attacked - I think those were afternoon attacks).

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    They got one. Not sure is was the rabid coyote. The one attacking now has to be the same coyote responsible for the prior attacks. I lived in that area for 5 years before moving. We never had attaches before these recent events. They'd usually haul ass when they saw you. Good thing too, since I was always packing.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    How long can a coyote stay alive IF it did have rabies? Seems like it’d be a different animal now if rabies were involved. I see from the other thread, that coyote was supposedly reported killed five weeks ago. And no reported attacks in the intervening time, until now. I’d guess it’s a different coyote than back in November (post #1, the previous thread).

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    what I want to know is if a coyote started stalking you, what would happen if you turned towards it and started charging full throttle? maybe a little war cry?

I'm guessing they'd back down, but I have obviously never tried it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    what I want to know is if a coyote started stalking you, what would happen if you turned towards it and started charging full throttle? maybe a little war cry?

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    I don't have pictures, but, I know that works in some cases. Wild animals will turn and go the other way if the threat looks big enough. It's not something we should try. But, if you are cornered it is your best chance.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I don't have pictures, but, I know that works in some cases. Wild animals will turn and go the other way if the threat looks big enough. It's not something we should try. But, if you are cornered it is your best chance.
    I would try it if I was in the zone lol. You know, good breakfast, bills are paid, hit quota at work a week early....
    Would be a good plan A, plan B is to shoot.

then again how bad would it look if someone saw (or recorded) me charging a coyote followed by shooting it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Joggers are acting like prey especially if they are running away from the coyote.

I’ve read where coyotes become bolder in urban areas where they don’t encounter humans with guns.

My uneducated guess is that these coyotes are becoming bolder because of the unarmed tasty humans that keep jogging by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My post (# 28) in the previous thread relates my encounters to a couple of healthy, good-sized coyotes. I’m inclined to say an encounter with a coyote is unpredictable at best. You can find multiple videos on YouTube where people in cities or college campuses are in close proximity to coyotes and they’re just ignoring each other. (Don’t think I’d be charging one without being armed).

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I live not far from that area and last week someone in my neighborhood posted they'd seen one around daybreak while walking their dog. The funny part, they said they'd be carrying a golf club around in the future. Carrying an air horn would be better!

The other ironic part is all the attacks being in close proximity to the Frisco Gun Club (indoor range).

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Sent from my SIG Sauer

A normal coyote would turn tail and run as soon as you turned and moved towards it, war cry or not. You don't even have to move towards it, just look towards it and it's gone.

Kinda like if you were sneaking up around a bear and the bear turned and looked at you. Time to leave. Now if you lived near the bears for a while and discovered they were all worthless wimps, you'd start to get more brave, but there would still be a line because it's a freaking bear, unless you became sick or delusional. Same goes with coyotes and people.

Top Bottom