Hurley's Gold

Folders (folding knives). What's Your Favorite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I stick with inexpensive knives, because I tend to lose them pretty easily. I'm partial to Kershaw knives - part of the why used to be because I was 20 minutes from Kershaw's HQ, and they would do free sharpening on any Kershaw knife, along with repair work / warranty swaps on the spot if something broke. Same with Leatherman and Gerber which were all HQ'd in the Portland, OR area. I also have some CRKT products, and have liked them over the years as well. I'm a fan of assisted opening knives and Kershaw has a bunch of assisted openers in their budget lines.

My two primary EDC folders are a Kershaw Leek, and a Cryo II. I'm on my 2nd Cryo II because I lost the first one.

I'm amazed I've managed to keep these knives as long as I have - I've had each for going on 2 years now, with only temporarily misplacing them a few times each since then. Same with my Leatherman OHT multi-tool. Its probably the 12th or 13th multi-tool I've owned, but because of it being as expensive as it is, I've been really damn careful not to lose it. Have misplaced it a time or two for maybe a day...

If I was richer, I'd be all over Rick Hinderer made knives. He designed the Cryo and Cryo II for Kershaw, and makes a similar knife of much higher quality and cost. I'd cry if I lost a $350-500 knife tho.
    Guns International

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My very first Automat Kalishnakov 74. It has seen some stuff. Tough knives and I love the spring open thingy. Thought I had lost it. Found it in the bottom of a drawer recently.

I have a few of these and give them as gifts often.

39821BCE-A252-4F69-ACF2-B8BCAD71F193.jpeg

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    a1df7159b6996cc82b742e5a9ab9c6de.jpg

Ganzo Firebird. It has a clone of the Benchmade Axis lock and retails for 30-35 bucks. The steel is 440 C and takes a scary edge. There’s a difference between a cheap knife and an inexpensive knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'm another one that tends to go the cheap route. Why? Well, I'm the OCB (Original Cheap Bastard), and, more importantly, I lose and break anything on which I spend good money! ( Sunglasses also fall into this category!)

I tried the Automat Kalishnikov and loved it. The clip broke so it rides in the glovebox as a spare.

Now, I try to buy Buck USA when possible. Right now I'm carrying a Remington framelock ( bought several years ago from SMKW when they were on clearance) that refuses to die. And I always carry a box-cutter in my back pocket.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MTA

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is a great thing about TGT: you can always rely on others to answer your questions - just not always the clear or correct answer you're looking for, lol.
    The hole is where you use your thumb to flip it open.
    One of the reasons I like my ZT is that it's so easy to open, no hole necessary. Was it expensive? Well, if you consider it as just another folding knife, then yes. But with many things, you get what you pay for. I wanted a knife that kept it's edge (excellent), light weight (carbon fiber handle) and something I can open with one hand (spring assisted, much like a switchblade). I've had it for about 8 years now, so I guess I'm not apt to losing it, and I believe I've only sharpened it less than a dozen times.

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    I’ve carried a lot of knives for EDC, and my favorite so far is the Zero Tolerance 0561 that I currently carry. I’ve carried it for about 5 years.

The 0561 is big, and I tried smaller versions of the same knife (0562 and 0566), but I always go back to the 0561.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Same here. I thought they were stupid looking, but read what other had to say about them on this very forum and decided to give them a try. Love mine!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve carried a lot of knives for EDC, and my favorite so far is the Zero Tolerance 0561 that I currently carry. I’ve carried it for about 5 years.

The 0561 is big, and I tried smaller versions of the same knife (0562 and 0566), but I always go back to the 0561.
    ZT I think may be the next one I get. I started getting interested in EDC knives mainly due to this forum. Had carried an inexpensive Kershaw for years, and it did perform well, but it didn’t hold an edge for too long. I decided that guns are already an expensive hobby, so might as well project that into a my knives. I got a Benchmade and Spyderco close to the same time and a Kalishnikov (?) a little later because I wanted an auto. The Spyderco is currently the flavor of the day for me. I haven’t carried the other two yet. They just sit on the shelf

Top Bottom