• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    The first time I came across this was when the color scheme requirement was announced for the new pistol that will be replacing the M9. It's understandable to have this color arrangement since many combat operations now and in the foreseeable future will likely be in a primarily desert environment. Aside from the obvious desert camouflage advantage of this color scheme I find it not very practical for anything else. I am not a big fan of the desert color palette as I prefer a more traditional black finish or stainless steel. It seems though that once FDE was introduced during the military pistol trials everyone jumped on the FDE bandwagon and had to have their next pistol/rifle with that color.

So is this a passing fad or are many following the military requirements just like LEO departments are following the FBI requirements or perhaps it has now become a marketing scheme to put out something that is different? What do you think?

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    Is FDE a true desert colour, I would have thought that Sand Colour (which is more yellow) and is available in from some manufacturers is more of a desert colour.
    56a41a598f3d2bd48b7490ab75dd9d03.jpg

Personally I would prefer Green and Black.

wm_7161138.jpg

I had to settle for this because it was either FDE or Black and I did not want black.
    P1010551.JPG

Attachments

• P1010551.JPG
      P1010551.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 556
    • 56a41a598f3d2bd48b7490ab75dd9d03.jpg
      56a41a598f3d2bd48b7490ab75dd9d03.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 491
    • wm_7161138.jpg
      wm_7161138.jpg
      622.9 KB · Views: 466

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    I don't know why they call it "dark".
    Always looked light to me.

I thought the same when I first saw it though compared to Sand it is dark. I guess the thought if they made things in turd colour they might not sell well even though it would be the right colour for any wet temperate zone.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Aside from the obvious desert camouflage advantage of this color scheme I find it not very practical for anything else...What do you think?

Retired military here. I doubt ‘desert camouflage’ was a rational for the color choice. For those that it would really matter to, they already have the authority to paint their weapons.

If anything, the one advantage I see with a lighter colored firearm finish is that it doesn’t absorb hear from the sun as quickly as a darker colored finish does.

That makes the firearm mor comfortable for the user and may have direct or indirect impact on user performance, too.

Just my opinion.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The first time I came across this was when the color scheme requirement was announced for the new pistol that will be replacing the M9. It's understandable to have this color arrangement since many combat operations now and in the foreseeable future will likely be in a primarily desert environment. Aside from the obvious desert camouflage advantage of this color scheme I find it not very practical for anything else. I am not a big fan of the desert color palette as I prefer a more traditional black finish or stainless steel. It seems though that once FDE was introduced during the military pistol trials everyone jumped on the FDE bandwagon and had to have their next pistol/rifle with that color.

So is this a passing fad or are many following the military requirements just like LEO departments are following the FBI requirements or perhaps it has now become a marketing scheme to put out something that is different? What do you think?
    I'm the same way, I prefer black mainly. When FDE first came out in civilian guns I thought it was pretty cool, but now it seems everyone has at least one gun in FDE. After getting to Texas in 2013 one of the first guns I bought is a Windham Weaponry 5.56 in black, but then I was thinking of putting FDE furniture on it. After seeing so many other people with it on theirs I decided to go with ODG, I'm not one to follow the crowd. When I built my 300BLK I decided to keep it black and only color fill imprints.

I don't dislike FDE or other colors, I am just more of a traditionalist I guess.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Gun color fashion isn't something I find terribly important.

Hell, I've got P-mags that're different in color than my AR.

Good heavens!

I've got a two-tone pistol - I prefer all black, but the price was right and soon I've grown to like the two-tone look, but if was any other color scheme short of 'rainbow' it wouldn't ping my GAS meter.......

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't know why they call it "dark".
    Always looked light to me.
    Its funny to me that FDE ranges from greenish to brown, to tan
    But it's all FDE
    I had a Glock about 10 years ago that he frame was factory FDE
    It was closer to green as I recall

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Mother of pearl handles, black frame with gold inlays, and stainless slide for me! ;)

Steve.D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2014
    Magpul's version of FDE (which is available in Cerakote) is darker and has a slightly green tint to it, making it blend in with pine straw very well around Texas.

Steve.D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2014
    I thought the same when I first saw it though compared to Sand it is dark. I guess the thought if they made things in turd colour they might not sell well even though it would be the right colour for any wet temperate zone.

Patriot Brown is the color you seek.

Top Bottom