• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    One of my brothers from church, turned real good family friend is a retired SWAT negotiator. He mentioned his Beretta safety was broken. I had an extra one so I offered to install it for him. When I picked it up, I noticed it was very worn, which I think is awesome, and what's more awesome is that it was his duty pistol for 30 years. Well, he wanted new life (wanted me to paint it and wanted new grips) for his sentimental Beretta, so I did what I could.

I had some brand new VZ grips laying around and painted it with my favorite paint for guns. I use engine enamel (for clarification refer to post #4) paint because it bakes on in the hot sun and is so durable that even the action of the slide going back, or chambering another shotgun round has not shown any real wear over the years. I can't say wether or not it's better than cerakote, but its just as good.

Anyway, I was happy to do this for him and I'm really proud of the job I did, so I thought I'd share it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

God bless.
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      304 KB · Views: 866
    Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Did you go over this with the gun owner before you painted his gun and installed those grips?

I for one would not be happy with having my gun painted and the original grips removed.

A gun is only original one time. A professional re-bluing is one thing, but enamel paint?

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Did you go over this with the gun owner before you painted his gun and installed those grips?

I for one would not be happy with having my gun painted and the original grips removed.

A gun is only original one time. A professional re-bluing is one thing, but enamel paint?

Damn, I thought I made it clear that he WANTED me to do this. I'll guess I'll go edit it to better state that...

I also asked him numerous times if he was sure, because I prefer the aged, worn looks of guns, if its natural.

He liked it so much he offered to pay me after the job was done but I did it for him as gift.

And its not just enamel paint. Like some kind of cheap walmart paint. Its good ceramic paint that is used on engines because it's tough and high temperature. Its not much different from other quality paints like cerakote. Guess I should have just said "painted", haha damn...

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Damn, I thought I made it clear that he WANTED me to do this. I'll guess I'll go edit it to better state that...

I also asked him numerous times if he was sure, because I prefer the aged, worn looks of guns, if its natural.

He liked it so much he offered to pay me after the job was done but I did it for him as gift.

And its not just enamel paint. Like some kind of cheap walmart paint. Its good ceramic paint that is used on engines because it's tough and high temperature. Its not much different from other quality paints like cerakote. Guess I should have just said "painted", haha damn...

Then I am thrilled that he was happy and I am thrilled that you are happy. Sounds like a good deed has been done.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I think you did a bang up job, nice work. I like that you used the term brother to describe your friend. I never had much of a family life, but the older I get I realize that family is more about the people that share love and common bonds that are stronger than bloodlines. I have a few “brothers” of my own now, and I would lay down my life for theirs if necessary. Bonds like that are incredibly rare these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Looks great!

I need to pick one of these up used, and restore it. I think there’s a thread on TGT about someone who did it just like you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks fellas.

I think you did a bang up job, nice work. I like that you used the term brother to describe your friend. I never had much of a family life, but the older I get I realize that family is more about the people that share love and common bonds that are stronger than bloodlines. I have a few “brothers” of my own now, and I would lay down my life for theirs if necessary. Bonds like that are incredibly rare these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a HUGE family and love all of them but I am closer with friends who I'd die for in a second. I'm glad you have that too. Trust me, it's a better feeling to become family with all walks of life, then to just have to learn to love the ones you were born to love. I love em all, but... you know how it is. Keep your brother together. God bless.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Nice Job. Prep is 99% of job like that. A great alternative is Brownells Alumnahyde once it cures it is pretty tough stuff.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Looks great now and I kinda liked the patina it had. I don't mind holster wear but understand why someone would like to restore it.

Nice job JC!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Just by chance, have you ever installed a decocker kit on a 92? I just bought a somewhat beat up M9 on GB and I've been toying around having a gunsmith install a decocker on it when it arrives for transfer. Also going to have a complete re-spring kit install from Wolff. The whole "factory spec" spring kit is less than $20 plus shipping. I figure it might be best to start "fresh".

You're thoughts on a decocker kit pls.

Top Bottom