• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    SQLGeek, I’m very interested in your thoughts on your press. Is it a Lyman or their new brand? Is this your first press?

I’m considering one.

Thanks
    Hurley's Gold

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well this thread took a turn. I personally prefer 3-4 shots of tequila before I start reloading. (Yes that's sarcasm)

I loaded up another 20 rounds with 4.6 grains of HP 38. The powder measure makes this a lot easier. Have I mentioned how well HP 38 meters in this measure? Every drop was exact.

I noticed my OAL was varying by a few .001", I thought it might be the seating stem so I switched to the flatter one. That didn't seem to help and left a ring on the bullets. I am guessing the variations in bullets are the cause for slight deviation.

I'm crimping down to .470-.4705 and I noticed that after crimping that the OAL will grow a bit.

These rounds seem to chamber and cycle fine so I don't know if I should be worried or not?

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    SQLGeek, I’m very interested in your thoughts on your press. Is it a Lyman or their new brand? Is this your first press?

I’m considering one.

Thanks

This is my first press so I don't have a basis of comparison but I've been pretty happy with it.

The indexing is positive and there isn't a lot of play in the ram or linkage that I can tell.

On press priming is ok. I had to deburr the primer tubes and clean them with pipe cleaners. I've managed to crush a couple of primers that loaded sideways. I'm going to possibly look at hand or bench priming.

Overall I'm happy though. I can use it single stage or semi-progressive.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Good point SQLGeek. I haven't even thought about priming. I think when I loaded on my Lee turret I was priming off press.

It's not a done decision yet. I still want to run up to Tomball and give my buddy's Tmag a turn or two.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm going to possibly look at hand or bench priming.

Overall I'm happy though. I can use it single stage or semi-progressive.

I almost always prime while I watch TV using the Lee auto prime XR.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Ok, thank you!

I’m trying to figure in all my costs. I have an Inline Fabrication set up with the quick disconnect feature. I really like it and it helps for use in a tight space! The downside is if/when I sell a press or brass trimmer that is used on the IF unit I will either drastically reduce my buyer pool or lose money since the mounting plate will not work for anything else.

I just bought a trim pro that had the IF plate on it. I got a deal because of how it was mounted and no one else was looking at it.

So, I guess I’m keeping my Lee classic cast press!

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    The Lee CC is a fine press. I have one of the original Classic Cast presses and two Lee Classic Turrets. They keep the two Redding Ultramags company. I built a "portable" reloading station with one of the turret presses and haul it to the range when I do load development. Just swap out turrets with the one mounted on the primary bench. Very handy.

Slapps74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    Marble Falls
    This is extremely bad advice. Nobody should be reloading after a few beers.
    Agreed! Bad idea. Also, some of the digital scales are great! I would put my Dillon digital up against a old 505 any day of the week. 40k plus loads and no charge weight issues (knock on wood).

I load on a progressive 650 Dillon and check the charge every time I add primers so 1 out of every 100. Scale always zeros with different check weights.

Top Bottom