• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I think I may have an expanded cylinder in my .22lr Heritage revolver but I find it hard to believe that a standard .22 lr round would have the power to do that. A long time ago one of my hot .357 loads expanded a cylinder in my S&W Model 19, and now I am experiencing the same stuck empties in one of the 6 cylinder slots. I have only fired maybe 5 rounds of standard Winchester ammo and maybe 30 rounds of CCI CB shorts. I wonder if maybe the shorts have gummed up the cylinder but the other 5 work fine. Before I send off the cylinder to Heritage I thought I would check in here for thoughts
    Lynx Defense

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I think I may have an expanded cylinder in my .22lr Heritage revolver but I find it hard to believe that a standard .22 lr round would have the power to do that. A long time ago one of my hot .357 loads expanded a cylinder in my S&W Model 19, and now I am experiencing the same stuck empties in one of the 6 cylinder slots. I have only fired maybe 5 rounds of standard Winchester ammo and maybe 30 rounds of CCI CB shorts. I wonder if maybe the shorts have gummed up the cylinder but the other 5 work fine. Before I send off the cylinder to Heritage I thought I would check in here for thoughts
    Gummy shorts'd be my guess, but no personal experience YET. I did just acquire a brick of CCI Quiet (not shorts) & I'll watch for this with my Heritage. Thanks.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Sounds like you have a fouled chamber.
    Use a .25caliber copper/bronze wire bore brush and thoroughly scrub out the chamber. A .22cal doesn’t fit as well in the chambers.
    Residue left on the inside wall from shooting 22shorts does this to 22long rifle cases.
    Do NOT use a stainless steel bore brush!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Sounds like you have a fouled chamber.
    Use a .25caliber copper/bronze wire bore brush and thoroughly scrub out the chamber. A .22cal doesn’t fit as well in the chambers.
    Residue left on the inside wall from shooting 22shorts does this to 22long rifle cases.
    Do NOT use a stainless steel bore brush!
    ^^^This.....and use a really good bore cleaner. I like the foaming cleaner that you can spray into the chambers until full and let sit for several minutes before scrubbing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I went after the cylinder with a brass brush and Hoppes and when I inserted it into the one suspect hole, the brush would barely move which confirms the opinions above. I had to reapply the Hoppes 2-3 times and work the brush in a twisting motion for several minutes before it could slide in and out easily. Gave them all a good cleaning and them applied a light coat of Rem Oil and then wiped with a thin cotton cloth. I suspect that the low velocity of the Shorts left a lot of crap in the long chamber although it is funny that only one cylinder was affected.

In any case, I just bought three boxes of CCI Quiet 710 fps LR ammo so I shouldn't have that problem anymore. Have to wait for the next gopher to show up to test it out. I get about an 85% success ratio on gophers with the Amdro bait, but the rest I end up shooting by keeping a good eye on the yard and then positioning myself about 6' from the hole with my pistol and popping them in the head when they push up the next wad of sand. Since the city idiots annexed us into the city limits I need to be a bit more discrete and don't use my rifle in the front yard anymore. It sucks to have a multi acre lot and have to conform to the same rules as the yahoos who buy into the 6,000 sq. ft lots they are filling up with houses.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've been using the Aguila 60 grain SSS ammo successfully. It actually functions in my 10/22 and is perfect for a < 25yd shot. Much quieter than the standard fare (no supersonic craaack) and it hits with an authoritative THUMP!

But it is expensive. I originally bought it for my NAA mini revolver.

Top Bottom