• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Went and shot 600 yesterday with my savage/sandman combo. I have 175 SMK with 41.5gr Varget loaded and a bunch of the rounds sounded like those old nerf footballs whistling down range.

Is it just escaping gasses or maybe the bullet? I don't see any sign of baffle strikes.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.JPG
      IMG_2148.JPG
      2 MB · Views: 242

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Tagging in for a video.
    I haven't heard a whistle with mine but sometimes a ringing which I think is sound reflecting back from the tin roof above shooting bench.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    1/2 to 1.4 mils at 600. Not every round did it either. I thought maybe it was wind, or gasses escaping.

It'll be a while before I go back the range is an hour away with hellacious traffic.
    I was thinking wind around the shooting area.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve heard whistling from 9mm suppressed shot at longer distances. Was easy to tell it was the bullets though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I say, I say, it's the bullet, son. The suppressor allowed you to hear it.

Trust me, I'm an expert on theoretical hypothetical scenarios, unsubstantiated and totally developed in my head.

Curious to know though, the timing and duration of the whistle. It could be the suppressor itself, and another theory to consider: the cooling and contracting gasses in the barrel are pulling air back in, across the baffles.

Either way, air density, temp, and wind probably had to be at some golden point for it to occur.

My wife one day said about the F-16's flying overhead: " I just hate to hear the people screaming. " Needless to say, after I stopped laughing, I explained to her that there are a couple of things that look like 2 scuba fins together, inside they are hollow with holes that release the air, basically a big scoop with a smaller area for the wind to escape. Air brakes.

They do sound a bit like a scream, but the sound is based on the same principle as flutes and whistles.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    What is the twist rate on your barrel? If it's a 1:12 then your bullet is unstable and that's why you hear it. That could cause a baffle strike at some point.
    1:10 should be good for 175 and 41.5. Varget, also I'm running 2561fps on average so that part SHOULD be fine you'd think.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well dammit, talked to Dead air and they think and they think it's the bullets not stabilizing.

Only problem is if shot the same load before with no issues, and it's all the same batch.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I say, I say, it's the bullet, son. The suppressor allowed you to hear it.

Trust me, I'm an expert on theoretical hypothetical scenarios, unsubstantiated and totally developed in my head.

Curious to know though, the timing and duration of the whistle. It could be the suppressor itself, and another theory to consider: the cooling and contracting gasses in the barrel are pulling air back in, across the baffles.

Either way, air density, temp, and wind probably had to be at some golden point for it to occur.

My wife one day said about the F-16's flying overhead: " I just hate to hear the people screaming. " Needless to say, after I stopped laughing, I explained to her that there are a couple of things that look like 2 scuba fins together, inside they are hollow with holes that release the air, basically a big scoop with a smaller area for the wind to escape. Air brakes.

They do sound a bit like a scream, but the sound is based on the same principle as flutes and whistles.
    It sounded like the second it hit open air it whistled until it hit steel.

My buddy reminded me I actually shot 3 different rounds and all 3 did it. Shot probably 50 rounds in all.

175smk handloads,
    168gr federal SMK, match(factory), and Aguila 150 I needed to get rid of.

Hopefully next week I'm going to my buddies place to try and trouble shoot. I need to check for rub marks on the baffles also, only looked for hard strikes before.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Could just be part of the tiny sonic boom the bullets are making on their way to the target.

You got rid of the muzzle report, but the crack of this bullet is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Thread rating is high on the speculometer!

Video with sound please, and our wrong opinions might be closer to the truth.

Yeah.....that might be a problem. You know how your dog does all those amazing things, and then company comes over and all he does is lay around and lick his balls? Yeah ....kinda like that..... now, if it did it every time .... that'd be different.

Kinda strange...guns are usually mostly consistent from throat to muzzle. But hearing it all the way means bullet, anyway, and the suppressor itself (although a possible contributing factor,) is allowing it to be heard, not whistling itself, ( unless those two shots were really, really good, and that suppressor was impressed.)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom