• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    Hey yall,

Just graduated from A&M this month and I've been searching for an entry level position in construction or oil and gas in Houston or Austin. Something along the lines of estimator, project manager, or sales.

I have a BS in Agricultural Systems Management and a Business Administration minor and worked through college as a general contractor renovating old houses, landscaping, building fences, etc. Also, have some sales experience.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    You're not going to like my suggestion, but strap on some tools, and get some practical experience in commercial construction . Extra points for an MEP trade.

A&M has a virtual conveyor belt churning out kids with construction science degrees, and none of them know what the hell they are talking about.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Go online and look at all the commercial construction lead generation and plan rooms. There's tons of out of state GC's bidding on local work. I've seen plenty of them hire wet behind the ears kids (no offense intended) to be a superintendent on a local job. I've even seen some with no construction experience or training at all.

Being local and having a degree should be a plus for you. That plus will turn into a resume builder for a better job down the road. Just plan on getting laid off every time a job is finished in the short term.

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    You're not going to like my suggestion, but strap on some tools, and get some practical experience in commercial construction . Extra points for an MEP trade.

A&M has a virtual conveyor belt churning out kids with construction science degrees, and none of them know what the hell they are talking about.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau
    I do agree with you, there are people graduating with no practical experience and/or common sense. I'm not against working and getting my hands dirty- I actually enjoy that kind of work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Hey yall,

Just graduated from A&M this month and I've been searching for an entry level position in construction or oil and gas in Houston or Austin. Something along the lines of estimator, project manager, or sales.

I have a BS in Agricultural Systems Management and a Business Administration minor and worked through college as a general contractor renovating old houses, landscaping, building fences, etc. Also, have some sales experience.
    1st thing- I'm class of '10. Gig em.

2nd thing- make a LinkedIn profile, and a badass one. Add a picture, post a headline, add all your education and work experience, follow companies you want to work for and keep up with it. Add contacts too. Find jobs and apply. I got my last job from LinkedIn.

3rd- network your ass off. It might be a little late because you already graduated, but you will get your best jobs from referrals. It's not who you know- it's who knows you.

4th- pm me once you do the LinkedIn thing. I'll endorse all your skills and help you out.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Hey yall,

I caint read...OK I see Houston, now.

Pm incoming in a few...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    1st thing- I'm class of '10. Gig em.

2nd thing- make a LinkedIn profile, and a badass one. Add a picture, post a headline, add all your education and work experience, follow companies you want to work for and keep up with it. Add contacts too. Find jobs and apply. I got my last job from LinkedIn.

3rd- network your ass off. It might be a little late because you already graduated, but you will get your best jobs from referrals. It's not who you know- it's who knows you.

4th- pm me once you do the LinkedIn thing. I'll endorse all your skills and help you out.
    Good to see another Ag on here! Thanks for the response, I'll look at LinkedIn tomorrow when I get back home from Houston.

I made the mistake of not networking until senior year and not doing internships during the summers because I could make way more money working. Hindsight is 20/20, but everything happens for a reason.
    I caint read...OK I see Houston, now.

Pm incoming in a few...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Got your PM, thanks for the heads up! I may swing by there tomorrow and see if they have anything since I've got a followup interview in Houston in the morning.

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    Just wanted to thank everybody for the help. I accepted an offer today for an estimator position in Houston.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Hey, congrats on the job.

Nonetheless, I would do what SaltyAg suggested. LinkedIn is just another piece in the arsenal for anything that might come up in the future.

And as silly/obvious as it sounds, have a solid resume and keep it updated. I've seen applications get thrown in the trash just because the resume looked like crap. Presentation is big on resumes. Have multiple versions that are targeted at specific fields/groups. I maintain 3 different resumes. Depending on the company you work for, as you move up, you may need to resubmit your resume, and it better be up to date.

Last edited:

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    Hey, congrats on the job.

Nonetheless, I would do what SaltyAg suggested. LinkedIn is just another piece in the arsenal for anything that might come up in the future.

And as silly/obvious as it sounds, have a solid resume and keep it updated. I've seen applications get thrown in the trash just because the resume looked like crap. Presentation is big on resumes. Have multiple versions that are targeted at specific fields/groups. I maintain 3 different resumes. Depending on the company you work for, as you move up, you may need to resubmit your resume, and it better be up to date.
    Thanks!

Setting up a LinkedIn can't hurt. I just always thought of it as a Facebook for business, except people add random people. At least that's how it was with my dad's LinkedIn; people he had never met would ask him to connect all the time.

I've learned the power of a good resume. My old roommate helped me with my first one since he worked for the writing center and apparently did them all the time. That resume looked like garbage, but I sent it in to some places while I was in school and didn't get a whole lot of interest. I completely redid mine and made it look very professional, and it seemed to do the trick.

Anyway, thanks again!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom