• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    Well i'm walking down the gun line when I got to work a couple days ago, looked over at the EBR's and saw that we had received another Coyote Brown ACR, but this one was an enhanced version! I know a lot of the buzz has started to die down on these guys, but seeing the enhanced ACR was still pretty neat. I still hate the safety selector, but it is still a cool rifle over all. One quick observation, the buttons you have to depress to adjust the collapsible was a little stiff, which made adjustment a little difficult and slow, but apart from that I really liked the overall look and the feel was pretty good too. So if anyone has been waiting to see/play with an enhanced ACR, we had one at Cabela's in Buda as on 9 tonight, so come fondle.

I only had my Pre on me, so I apologize for the picture quality

CIMG0043.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Guns International

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    After thinking about it, I really like the ACR. At first I was turned off by the actual production version, however my complaint was mainly the price (hey we all want something free). The concept as well as the actual production item are both solid from what I've seen in my limited first hand experience. The controls are fully ambidextrous, overall design is very ergonomic, modularity is the best of anything I've seen thus far, there really doesn't seem to be much if anything to dislike about the platform. Hopefully we'll see a lighter barrel profile at some point, since the extra mass is just not needed by the average shooter (10.5" SBR w/ pencil barrel profile would be enticing). Other than that, apparently they have SBR barrels planned for release, which is nice. Overall, a solid home run from Magpul, even if the price is a little steep.

Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    My uncle just bought one of theose recently. It truly is a modular rifle that just about anyone can pick up and figure out. My only complaint is that they've always seemed front heavy in my opinion. If they were more balanced, shooting fatigue would probably be lessened significantly.

Quick question: The upper and lower receivers look like they're two different shades. Is that how it really is, or is that just a camera error?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Anyone know if you can buy the stock or fore-end separately? I really prefer the basic model's handguards over the rails, but I want the adjustable folding stock.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Quick question: The upper and lower receivers look like they're two different shades. Is that how it really is, or is that just a camera error?

Looks like the lower is made of some type of polymer and the upper is aluminum. I'd bet the shades are slightly off depending on who coats the upper.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Anyone know if you can buy the stock or fore-end separately? I really prefer the basic model's handguards over the rails, but I want the adjustable folding stock.

My guess is that these things will become the "Barbie Doll" of guns. There will be no end to the accessories that will bolt-on, clip-on, barrel exchanges, and many other items unique to a truly modular gun. My doll reference is when you get the gun, it is ALL of the hundreds of accessories that will continually empty your checking account...

(Barbie dolls were sometimes sold as loss leaders, but conspicuously placed with hundreds of high markup extra's.)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I was looking at that safety selector. WTF is with that tiny little thing? How are you supposed to use that?

My guess is that these things will become the "Barbie Doll" of guns. There will be no end to the accessories that will bolt-on, clip-on, barrel exchanges, and many other items unique to a truly modular gun. My doll reference is when you get the gun, it is ALL of the hundreds of accessories that will continually empty your checking account...

(Barbie dolls were sometimes sold as loss leaders, but conspicuously placed with hundreds of high markup extra's.)

I doubt it. It's not like this is a new concept, the SCAR-L and Robinson XCR (hmm, sound kind of like...) have been around for quite a while with almost identical features.

Meanwhile, the AR is exactly what you've described. I call it the Ford Mustang of rifles.

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    Farmboy: The upper is aluminum and the lower is a polymer, so the color match isn't perfect, although you can't expect it to be.

M. Sage: The selector is awful! While holding the rifle, if I switch to fire, the selector switch pokes into my thumb and is incredibly uncomfortable, and at a $2000 price point you'd think they would be able to manufacture a better part. Oh well though, it can only get better....right?

Top Bottom