Target Sports

Driving from Texas to New Jersey next week. What do I do with my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    I used to tour with my handgun. Before we entered a state, like NY/NJ, I would drop it at a gun shop in a legal carry state and either pick it up on the way out or have it shipped to another shop we’d be passing next. Kind of a hassle, but it’s better than the alternative.

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    If you must travel to NJ, take your gun with you. Just before you enter NJ, stop at a bank and rent a safe deposit box. Place your gun and ammo in the box. When you leave NJ, stop and retrieve your gun and ammo.
    That is the solution I would adopt. That is if there were no way to avoid NJ. Then again NY,MA are also places to put on the exclusion list

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Better rent that safe deposit box in advance. None to be found around me that are available. Long waiting list.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    Do not, under any circumstances bring a firearm into NJ. You can transit NJ with an unloaded firearm securely locked away from the occupants access.

You can not bring a gun into NJ if it is your destination. It is, if anything, worse than MA or NY.

You need a permit for mere possession of a handgun or a long gun. The long gun process is supposedly much more simple, but I never tried to get either so I don't know for sure.

Much of the northeast is similar. ME, NH, VT do not require permits for possession or carry, but MA, CT, and RI do require permits. MA requires either a Fire Arms Identification care (long guns) or License to Carry (handguns) for mere possession. RI and CT do not, but do for carry. NY is similar to NJ, especially in the New York City area.

glens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2020
    kingsland tx. 78639
    Ain't headed nowhere where i can't carry a pistolie or go in a place with the no Firearm sign. On the Sign and If they don't have a Metal detector , they don't know about the one in my Boot.

Top Bottom