Join TexasGunTalk

Do you have fruit trees or plants

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by 66vette, Apr 10, 2019.

1. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    A black walnut is self fertile and grows fairly quickly.
    An English walnut will likely grow faster, but is not self fertile and will require another variety like the black to pollinate.

Plant one of each if you have the room. They grow fine in Texas.

jordanmills, BuzzinSATX and Southpaw like this.
  2. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

One of my uncle bought a place in piece of land in Kentucky. Paid it all off with the english walnut trees that grew there.

jordanmills and karlac like this.
  3. karlac

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    When I was building spec homes and was required to replace circumference inches for trees that had to be taken out to build, I used walnuts in back yards, and red maples in the front yards.

4. OutlawStar

OutlawStar Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Yeah, HOA requires at least 1 tree in the front yard (I have 2) but I have no idea what these trees are. I was told I have a crepe myrtle tree out front as well. They don't produce anything but shade and leaves. I'm learning how to do lawncare (and general house maintenance) slowly but it'd be nice to have some actual fruits from my labor. I did notice whenever it rains my patio is infested with slugs which I'm sure will devour an herb garden overnight.

5. karlac

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Builder's plant crepe myrtles because in most jurisdictions they're "approved trees", and each of the many trunks counts toward replacement inches for trees taken out for building ... can save them a ton of money in some places.

They're messy, but pretty in the spring. The Natchez variety is my favorite. I have them all along the fence in my backyard, but they really mess up the deck I built once a year ...

6. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

I hate crap myrtles, have some in my back yard. Only thing worse are the yaupons planted in the front. Ever other year I trim both back creating a huge brush pile. On the bright side yaupons do contain coffins & you can make tea out of them

karlac likes this.
  7. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    If you want to grow vegetables or herbs, consider containers. Easy to manage and move as heat and sun intensifies. As far as slugs go, you could deter them with copper tape (search "slug barrier").

Good luck with the Walnut trees. I was considering pecans but our soil is way too rocky from what I was told...

Southpaw likes this.
  8. OutlawStar

OutlawStar Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I think I'd rather have a pecan tree, I know I've been to quite a number of houses that had pecan trees.

9. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Don't plant it in a spot with the intent to shade your vehicles parking place.

10. OutlawStar

OutlawStar Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Nah, I'm looking for back yard shade. Does it drop a lot of sap or nuts that cause damage?