• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    The plant vendors usually stock our stores (Lowe’s, Home Depot, H-E-B on Wednesday and Thursday so they are good for the weekends during the busy planting seasons (like now). Recommend hitting the stores by Friday afternoon for best selections.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I see some clay pellets in those buckets. Are you doing Bioponics or?
    Never heard that term so I looked it up. Short answer...I think so...

I have grow beds filled with clay media. I have koi in water tanks below. I continuously pump ‘fish water’ into grow beds and drain beds via bell siphon back not fish tanks. Grow beds serve as bio filter, and I also have red wriggler earthworms in the beds.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Sam7sf

Sorry, I was wrong. These are what I grow. Called “Sun Sugars”. Not sure if this was what you wanted, but these are a great choice if you want a really sweet cherry tomato.

Everyone I bring them to love them.

https://bonnieplants.com/product/sun-sugar-tomato/
    Is there a determinate variety you are aware of?

Space limitations being a factor in urban planting, and a manageable size makes it easier to defeat the critters.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Is there a determinate variety you are aware of?

Space limitations being a factor in urban planting, and a manageable size makes it easier to defeat the critters.

I pretty much only grow indeterminate varieties and just keep them trimmed to whatever size I need. I cut them back every couple weeks, and use that green plastic plant tie to guide them.

You can Grow them on cages, trellises, and arches as well. Limited garden space has caused a boom in vertical gardening techniques.

https://proudhomedecor.com/diy-idea...lbFotU05qcV9QZkhnYjlBJm09MyZ0PUFBQUFBRnl3YmxN

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    "emergency" drain holes up on the side walls, not the bottom
    Good to know so I can do it right when I get my barrels ready for planting in the next few days.
    I'm thinking a few 1/2" holes will do the job.
    thanks

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Im just getting into the planning stages of attempting to garden and I never heard of wicking beds, they look like a great idea. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Watch a few you tube videos on them before committing to how you want to build them. Lots of different ways to skin this cat...

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I watched 20 last night.
    Saw 20 different ways.
    Yeah, like I said...

But in the end, the concepts are very simple:

- water reservoir at bottom with non-porous filler
    - permeable barrier between reservoir and potting mix
    - Drain on the side at level of barrier

Good luck...they work great here in TX for water hungry plants like tomatoes or fruit trees

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Had a peach tree out front on the side of the house. Loaded up with peaches every year. If I didn't thin them they would break branches.

Just about the time I thought it was time to pick, I would go out and find the tree empty.

Man, that's just sorry. I don't mind folks helping themselves, but crap!!! Leave some for the guy that owns the tree!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Had a peach tree out front on the side of the house. Loaded up with peaches every year. If I didn't thin them they would break branches.

Just about the time I thought it was time to pick, I would go out and find the tree empty.

Man, that's just sorry. I don't mind folks helping themselves, but crap!!! Leave some for the guy that owns the tree!
    Do you live in the city, burbs, or country?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Would you guys recommend a Walnut tree? I fear its a bit late in spring to start my herb garden (new homeowner) but I imagine a tree in the back yard might do fine.

I have a slightly sloping back yard surrounded by fence (suburbs unfortunately) and there is zero plants back there. Prior owners had some sort of flower bed on one side but when I bought the house it just had grass and partitioned by that plastic edging material. So basically its a plain grass yard. The entire yard gets plenty of sun with the exception of the sides and directly against the house that gets minimal sun.

I'm just looking for some ideas that I could do on the cheap and low-maintenance but still have something that either produces something or looks good. I don't want a tree I have to rake the yard or do extra to keep the grass growing under it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom