Capitol Armory ad

Do not joke about your chili ingredients...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    i usually use about 3to 5lbs. og meat in my chili with a combination of ground beef pork sausage andbeef stew meat that is cubedplus some bacon for fat content and i like smoked brisket if i have it!i cook my mest first so that i can cook the vegetables in the seasoned fat that is renderedfresh tomatoes bel peppers onions,jalpeno1to 2 bottles of beerof beer peppers.brown sugar molasseschili powder, garlic pwder,salt black pepper cayenne peper powderpaprikamexican oregano, cumin fresh cilantrojuice from two limes
    Venture Surplus ad

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Well, if you only have a few relatives, and in-laws coming over...
    icon_smile_wink.gif

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

Decades back, I was taught to cook ’’Real West Texas Chili’’ by the late R. Paul Ricker, Son of the U of Texas ‘’Santa Rita #1’’ icon, Rupert Ricker.

The rules were rigid. IIRC, the meats were 4 parts lean beef & 1 part young goat; diced not ‘’ground’’.

The grease was freshly rendered beef suet. At least half the meat was to be ‘’browned’’ in the suet FIRST.

Freshly ground chili colorado was needed.

Any beans were to be kept separate during cooking and were served in a different bowl.

No tomato of any kind was allowed.

Paul used a bit of ‘’Magi’’ & 1 tbsp flour or mole’. (Jar roux is the same thing and is easier to find.)

Onions, of course. Garlic was variable.

Way back in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s, Texas Monthly magazine ran an article on ‘’Things which DON’T go into real Chili’’.

leVieux
    texas montly caters to liberaltexans that don't shit sabout anything in texas unless they read it in tm and by the way there are hundreds of variations of chili recipes i sure wouldn't take it as gospel that some magazine writerknows what reatexas chiliis!and you don't even live in texas!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Back in 2001 I was working at Takata here in S.A., and they decided to have a chili cook-off for the employees.
    Just about no one tried my chili, and a guy who put green beans, and pasta in his won. :facepalm:
    So why in the world was someone allowed to enter the contest with a pasta soup dish? And what were the judges smoking? Were they from Commiefornia?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Last couple batches I did were basically thus:

1lb 80-20 ground beef
    1lb ground pork
    2 large onions (white, yellow, red - whatever) - finely diced
    2 bell peppers - finely diced
    4-6 jalapeno peppers - finely diced
    2-4 serrano peppers - finely diced
    1 Anaheim pepper - finely diced
    1 Pasilla pepper - finely diced
    2 heaping spoons of minced garlic
    2 large cans of diced tomatos
    1 can of tomato paste
    1 can of chicken or beef stock (whatever I had handy - I try to keep both well stocked in the cupboard)
    And because my wife has to have beans in her chili
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of pinto beans
    1 can of navy / chili beans
    A few splashes of Worchestershire sauce
    Black pepper, salt, and "Slap Ya' Mama" seasoning to taste

I use a butter and olive oil mix in the pan to lubricate it - brown the meat - add salt and pepper. Add the onion - cook until translucent. Add the garlic and peppers, cook another five minutes. Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook a minute or two to marry the flavors. Add the stock, stir. Add the tomatoes and beans, stir. Let it simmer for a while. Then add the Worchestershire sauce and Slap Ya Mama as well adding additional salt / black pepper as necessary to your tastes.

My chili isn't exactly white girl wimpy, you get flavor and heat. Wife complains I make mine too spicy - but she's only two shades whiter than the default background color of this forum, thus she can't handle spice and has no real tastebuds :roflfunny: (she also doesn't read this forum - I'm safe)

It doesn't burn your corn cutter on the way out. I haven't ever entered a chili cookoff, but the only complaints I've had came from the wife and her mom about it being too spicy. Apples and trees there. My Mexican step mom liked it.

Top Bottom