• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Thank you very much for all the info. This will help me on my purchase this weekend.

@popper , sorry you're a little to far for me but thank you for offering.

***Update***

I don't know if I was lucky or not. I went to a yard sale this afternoon and I came across some dies. Some were very rusted and some were new from what I seen. At the bottom of the box under books I seen dies for 308. I went straight to pay for them since they were tag for $15.

They are Lee Pacestters Dies with Free shell holder. Now will those work for me or do I need different ones?

538030.jpg

Those will work just fine. Make sure that you use a good lube on the cases before you try to size them.
    I use Imperial dry graphite lube on the inside of the necks. This will keep the expander from stretching the necks when it is pulled back through.
    There are numerous brands of case lube out there, I personally use Imperial sizing wax for my resizing duties. I've never had a stuck case using it. I can't say that for using other brands.

Take apart & Clean your dies before you use them to make sure the factory protective coating is removed.
    Just know that your dies will surface rust on the outside from the oils / sweat on your finger's. It doesn't hurt anything, and if it gets bad, you can just soak the dies in some vinegar over night and clean any of the rust off. Just make sure to use some light oil like 3 in 1 oil to protect the bare metal afterwards.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you all for the advice and help on this. This weekend my back order came in regarding a new press.

I finally upgraded my Lee press to Foster CO-Ax one. I setup the press and did some de-priming.. I have to say it's night and day!!! I love how smooth it runs. This week going to work on a load that I started with my .223 since I don't have to use a shell holder anymore.

Numbers will be different but it's okay more practice for myself. I really would like to start shooting long range once it cools down. Maybe find a long distance amateur shooting range for this.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Well I went with RCBS for now. Will try that Die for the 308 and see how it goes. If I like it I will have to purchase one for my 6.5 one.

Thank you for all the help.

Now I need to find a video or something to start loading .308. I know 223 really well but now I need to move onto my rifle ones.

Any good step by step for 308 loading?

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Same as 223. Set up the sizer for your headspace, check if they need trimming and use GOOD case lube on clean case. Get load data from a load book or Hornady online. Get the right powder, many like varget, I don't. H4895, if you use it for 223 works good.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Well I went with RCBS for now. Will try that Die for the 308 and see how it goes. If I like it I will have to purchase one for my 6.5 one.

Thank you for all the help.

Now I need to find a video or something to start loading .308. I know 223 really well but now I need to move onto my rifle ones.

Any good step by step for 308 loading?
    1701108436169.png

Top Bottom