• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I understand the whole diesel fuel set up. Off-road, commercial and everyday pump.

3 questions.

1) Why does off-road diesel have more sulfur?

2) Why would a 36hp John Deere farm tractor have a sticker stating "low or ultra low sulfur diesel only?" Isn't it off-road?

3) What are the long term effects of running a high sulfur fuel in an low-ultra low sulfur engine?

Thanks ya'll
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Low sulfur has less oil. It’s really about soot.

Farm equipment for the most part is now required to meet certain emissions requirements. Nearly as bad as on road vehicles.

Farm use diesel really isn’t any different than pump diesel. It just doesn’t have the same taxes applied and has a red dye so it can be seen if use outside of what it’s intended for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Generally there is only one #2 Diesel sold at the pump
    ULSD

The dye is just injected into the stream of fuel as it is coming from the loading rack holding tanks
    There is a different product number for clear and dyed

The driver loading and hauling the fuel to the store keys in the product code and if it's for dyed.then an injector turns on and puts the dye in as it is loading

Years ago there used to be off road diesel with higher sulphur, I have not seen that in years

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They about covered it.

Most diesel is #2. In the winter up north you will see #1 diesel. It is less efficient but gels at a lower temperature. Not sure what chemical mix separates the two though.

To add complications many construction and farm machines are going to DEF systems. The ones I have used are junk. The systems have flaws and are weak. Hopefully that is straightened out soon.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    In a refinery, diesel comes off of the distillation tower in a particular boiling range, and that material includes diesel, kerosene, and No. 2 fuel oil. It gets processed to remove sulfur to a degree that depends on the finished product. Kerosene (also known as No. 1 fuel oil) used to be the lowest sulfur product, as it was used in lamps and needed the lowest odor and soot. Different grades of diesel/No. 2 are taxed differently. Off-road (farm) diesel and marine diesel were allowed to have higher sulfur and were taxed at a lower rate. Similarly, heating oil is taxed a a lower rate than highway diesel. After 1990, federal requirements changed. Sulfur in diesel causes both sulfur dioxide emissions and higher particulate emissions (smoke). As a result, the allowable amounts of sulfur have been greatly reduced.

Biodiesel is chemically different from petroleum diesel, but still works in a diesel engine. It has no sulfur, and will actually clean carbon deposits from the engine. It does not have as many BTUs per gallon, so it doesn't get as good mileage, and it gets thick (gels) in cold weather.

Dyes are added to make sure everybody pays the required taxes. High sulfur diesel is red. Military (DOD) fuel is not allowed to have any dye and I think ultra low sulfur diesel isn't dyed. No. 2 fuel oil is blue.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . .

To add complications many construction and farm machines are going to DEF systems. The ones I have used are junk. The systems have flaws and are weak. Hopefully that is straightened out soon.

The other system many tractors use is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). At certain intervals, the tractor goes into regeneration mode and runs at very high RPMs to burn off the accumulated crud in the DPF. Those had lots of problems initially but they seemed to have worked out most (but not all) of the kinks by most reports.

But one of the things I don't like about them is that you need to keep the RPMs up on those tractors because putting around at low RPMs produces more soot and clogs up the DPF quicker.

Also, all of these systems add more computers and complications, which is just more junk to break some day.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Big question is why does OP have a JD tractor?
    In-laws outta town for 2 months. Asked if we would knock down the brush while they gone.

Well... they left tractor empty:banghead: Called them to see if they had any in their tank. They said no, go across to the other family and make sure you get red diesel. I told the wife "I'll get some from town, it's no different at the green pump" They said no, needs to be red.

So, while pouring in "green" diesel, I saw the sticker on their tractor that stated- low ultra low sulfur diesel only. Which told me.... they don't know what they are talking about.

So here we are.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In-laws outta town for 2 months. Asked if we would knock down the brush while they gone.

Well... they left tractor empty:banghead: Called them to see if they had any in their tank. They said no, go across to the other family and make sure you get red diesel. I told the wife "I'll get some from town, it's no different at the green pump" They said no, needs to be red.

So, while pouring in "green" diesel, I saw the sticker on their tractor that stated- low ultra low sulfur diesel only. Which told me.... they don't know what they are talking about.

So here we are.

They will probably get arrested now because the fuel in their tractor will show they paid too many taxes on it.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Just a couple of side notes to add that haven't been quite covered.

Tractors/constructions stuff doesn't require DEF unless it gets over the 100hp range. The smaller ones don't need it, but still require the standard USLD. (newer tractors, not the old ones).

Commercial diesel is the only item from the original post I didn't see addressed. Commercial, as in truck stops isn't any different other than in winter time some of the truck stops will carry D1 here in Texas because the OTR drivers are heading North where they will need it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Tractors/constructions stuff doesn't require DEF unless it gets over the 100hp range. The smaller ones don't need it, but still require the standard USLD. (newer tractors, not the old ones).

Wasn't aware of that but also haven't looked it up. Surprised the jobsite forklifts have that much HP.

But I will add a big "yet".

Top Bottom