• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    I’m playing with the idea of designing a feeder that fills a couple of areas where my distribution (corn) feeders fall short and I’d appreciate any input on what you wish your feeder would do. Aside from pulling bigger bucks and keeping them there until you get settled in your stand, what are some wish list items that you would love to have from a feeder? What bad stuff is happening at your feeder now?
    Guns International

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Bad stuff is hogs. I am ( and have been) running on food plots for the last 20 years, But your results may vary. Other than drought years the food plots attract does. During the rut the does attract the bucks. Which in turn attracts projectiles.

Last edited:

Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    Other than drought years the food plots attract does. During the rut the does attract the bucks. Which in turn attracts projectiles.
    Absolutely! Hold does, get bucks. I’d always rather be on the property that has tons of does pre-rut than the property with amazing September buck photos. Hogs are a good, tough challenge. Thanks for the input.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I cannot believe with the technology available today that we don’t have a digital feeder timer that can adjust with the season and (for now at least) daylight saving time.

It should be just a simple astronomical timer function in the timer. Plug in your Lat/Lon and it would adjust automatically throughout the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    One other thing I have done a few times. Every several years we get a shit pot of acorns from the various oak trees we have. I raked up, and my lovely wife helps, several gunnysacks of acorns. About a week into season I dump a sack along the sendero between the field and the tower stand. It gets attacked by the deer within a few hours. Problem is the big bucks come out at night to feast. But it keeps them in the area.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I cannot believe with the technology available today that we don’t have a digital feeder timer that can adjust with the season and (for now at least) daylight saving time.

It should be just a simple astronomical timer function in the timer. Plug in your Lat/Lon and it would adjust automatically throughout the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Deer don't get daylight savings time, they are on circadian time.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Yeah, but I get what he’s saying when he, the hunter, is still thinking the feeder is going off at 5pm and instead it goes off at 4pm.
    Got it, scares the shit out of ya, and ruins a good dream. We had one guy, with a bad case of OCD, that reset the time, and the fling time, twice a year. After about 15 years he figured it out. Dawn will come, I know it moves around a bit, regardless of what time you have it set for.

Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    Got it, scares the shit out of ya, and ruins a good dream. We had one guy, with a bad case of OCD, that reset the time, and the fling time, twice a year. After about 15 years he figured it out. Dawn will come, I know it moves around a bit, regardless of what time you have it set for.
    Yeah, that part is definitely OCD, but the constant movement of dawn/dusk changes is a good takeaway here for me. I’m not a fan of gps locations (as a hunter sharing deer with public land) but maybe you input the county/zip code and it updates dawn/dusk to your requested delivery timing. Such as; 10 seconds at 15min after DAWN; 1 hour before DUSK. That way it eliminates the daylight savings issue entirely and, even better, keeps your delivery timing on point to your long term goals.

Last edited:

Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    Do you know what is truly scary? 98% of the cameras I’ve sourced are made in communist China. I’ve tested those companies that claim manufacturing in the US, and they’re unspecific.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Do you know what is truly scary? 98% of the cameras I’ve sourced are made in communist China. I’ve tested those companies that claim manufacturing in the US, and they’re unspecific.
    I have noticed that. Kinda like a TV. There are currently none manufactured in the US. Moultrie once claimed they were US manufactured, but that proved to be BS a long time ago. Sticking the decals on a foreign manufactured item does not make it US manufactured.

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm fortunate enough to get zero hogs out where I hunt but the cows always nibble on the corn a bit. Next year the property is going to a WMA and it might be an opportunity for feed plots. Squirrels still like to terrorize my tree hung bucket feeders but the loss is minimal so I let them feast. Once we clear out the cows I might consider a year round protein feeder but my favorite spot is 100 yards from the property line so I know the neighbors will benefit from my efforts too.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    There are feeders that have a photocell and can track the changing daylight hours. I had one for years and had it set to trigger a set time during dusk/dawn. Thus a set clock and time change was never a factor.

Top Bottom