Venture Surplus ad

DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

• DAO

Votes: 4 16.0%
    • SAO

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . .
    As for dropping a gun, there is absolutely zero excuse for a modern gun to discharge due to being dropped. If you can make a gun discharge in ANY way other than either a cookoff (highly unlikely in anything other than a heavily used machine gun) or pulling the trigger, then that is a serious flaw in the design of that gun and responsibility of that discharge should fall back on the manufacturer.

I understand your point, but this is not universally true. The old Ruger 3 screw single action revolvers and Colt SAA revolvers are not safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. OTOH, you said "modern" firearm and Ruger quit making them over 45 years ago, so maybe that's not a modern firearm.

But there are still plenty of them out there. I've got a couple myself. And I don't believe you can state that it is a "design flaw" in absolute terms, and I certainly don't consider the design to be negligence per se. The owners manual tells you not to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. If people choose to ignore the instructions, that's on them. No different than choosing to drive your car without putting the seatbelt on.

Ruger got sued over it and, of course, caved in and changed the design to include a transfer bar safety and called it the New Model Blackhawk.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    As for dropping a gun, there is absolutely zero excuse for a modern gun to discharge due to being dropped. If you can make a gun discharge in ANY way other than either a cookoff (highly unlikely in anything other than a heavily used machine gun) or pulling the trigger, then that is a serious flaw in the design of that gun and responsibility of that discharge should fall back on the manufacturer.

We are in violent agreement here.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    The only reason I voted for SAO is that my favorite trigger in the world is on my SVI 2011...my 2nd through 8th runners up are all on 2011s or 1911s. Nothing in the world like a good single action trigger break and reset.

My current carry gun is a P365, sometimes a P938. Every once in a great while (in the winter) an XD. Overall I train far more often with SAO than DAOs, and although I love my USP, P7s, and Vp9, they are bag/truck backup guns for me.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I understand your point, but this is not universally true. The old Ruger 3 screw single action revolvers and Colt SAA revolvers are not safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. OTOH, you said "modern" firearm and Ruger quit making them over 45 years ago, so maybe that's not a modern firearm.

But there are still plenty of them out there. I've got a couple myself. And I don't believe you can state that it is a "design flaw" in absolute terms, and I certainly don't consider the design to be negligence per se. The owners manual tells you not to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. If people choose to ignore the instructions, that's on them. No different than choosing to drive your car without putting the seatbelt on.

Ruger got sued over it and, of course, caved in and changed the design to include a transfer bar safety and called it the New Model Blackhawk.

Yep, that's why I said modern. I'm not going to fault an old gun, or even a reproduction of an old gun for being designed like that. That's just how they are. A gun designed today though? Yep, that's a serious design flaw and is inexcusable. Gun design has come a long ways since 1873 after all. As said earlier, shit happens. Gun get dropped and people fall for whatever reason. A carry gun should never have a flaw that will cause it to discharge if it's dropped.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Every discharge of any type is due to human interaction.
    A gun laying untouched on the table will not fire.
    Just a point of order and an edge case, but those statements aren't 100% correct.

One of the reasons the ISSF is so touchy about using chamber indicators on pistols left on the line during breaks in matches is specifically because there used to be situations (not really "problems" since the triggers were properly working as designed) with free pistol triggers. Competitors at the world level used to leave their loaded guns on the bench, sometimes for long periods of time. Back when a match was 2.5 (Or was it 3?) hours, it wasn't unusual to just sit down and take a break if conditions changed radically during the matches which are shot outside.

Those triggers are so touchy that a sufficiently large change in ambient temperature can cause metal to expand, tolerances to be exceeded, and sears to be released. There was more than one instance when a pistol sitting untouched on a bench just fired.

I don't think it's happened for 30 years. There are several factors involved. Matches are shorter now. The rules require unloading. Most important, these days electronic triggers are relatively much more popular than mechanical ones.

Still, I just wanted to point out that those statements aren't technically, perfectly true. There are exceptions to every rule.

Top Bottom