Join TexasGunTalk

CZ vs Canik

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by TundraWookiee, Jul 3, 2019.

1. TundraWookiee

TundraWookiee Scruffy Nerf Herder TGT Supporter

Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'll check it out. I'm not typically too crazy about DA/SA and therefore don't keep too many hammer-fired pistols. I also held a P07 and didn't like how it felt in my hand but I'll see if the P09 is any different.

2. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I bought one of the first series of Canik 9mms back in 2014 or 15 and had it shipped directly to Cajun Gun Works. Spent about $200 having the trigger worked on and sights replaced.

Liked it ok, but after putting about 2000 rounds through it, I sold it to a cousin for exactly what I had in it.

I later bought a TP9SA...sent it to CGW, same scenario, and sold it to a friend... CZs are, for me, better pistols out of the box. Nothing wrong with the Caniks, I just think CZ has had longer to perfect their design and production systems.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. phoenix

phoenix Member

Sep 10, 2014
    I have the cz p07 and its a great gun came with night sights. I forget what i paid for it but the prices i have seen are about aveage and decent. I really like the 1911 and it reminds me of the trigger. Not familiar with canik

4. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I'm not sure how you think a Canik is a CZ clone. CZ pistols have the slide riding inside the rails. Canik pistols have them outside the rails.

5. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    No, he is right. He just didn't see that the OP stated the "TP9 series".

Canik and TriStar are one in the same and they also make CZ variants such as the Stingray, Shark, C100, T100, and the T120. Fantastic pistols, but not 100% up to par with true CZ firearms and slightly better than EAA. I think this is what he meant.

Darkpriest667 and Sam7sf like this.
  6. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

I have over 5000 rounds through my TP9SF and the only time it failed was because I got to something ridiculous like 1700 rounds without cleaning it as a testing thing. Now I clean it after every range trip. I've not gone past 1000 with my TP9SF Elite because I figured if it can go 1000 rounds reliably without cleaning we're good to go. It has about 2500 rounds through it.

I regularly say it has the nicest stock trigger I've ever fired and tons of people call BS and I ask them if theyve shot it and they say no. :-)

diesel1959 likes this.
  7. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Desert Eagles are just oversized CZs

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  8. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I really need to try a TP9SF. After my first 2 canik experiences, I don't have high enough hopes to order one without trying it first.

9. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    You really should. Although I have never really been a hardcore Glock snob, I was one that always said you could never beat them (and yes, I own 1911's too lol). All that changed when I bought the TP9SA a few years ago. It eventually led to me getting the TP9SF and SF Elite, and they have quickly become my EDC pistols pushing my Glocks to the bedside and/or the safe.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are great but the TP9 series edges them out on overall cost, trigger function, and standard capacity. In my experience the reliability is the same in both so I went with Canik. I cast and reload thousands of rounds of 9mm per year, and I feed them to my TP9s.. I don't use cast in my Glocks thus I practice waaay more with them over my G19 or 17.

FYI, I am not being paid for this lol.

Darkpriest667 and TheMailMan like this.
  10. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's not the 80s/90s anymore. He isn't talking about the Canik CZ clones.

Even then, the Canik CZ clones are 90% as good as a CZ at 50% the cost. Worth it... I've always liked CZ, but in the last 15 years or so their prices have gone up so much that they aren't the great buy they used to be.

The Canik Walther clones are actually a lot nicer than the P99 they are based on. I think they are on par with the PPQ, which is damn impressive for the price.

So now you've heard different :laughing:

crash83 and Sam7sf like this.