• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I heated my home in Broken Arrow, OK for years with wood that I cut myself. I cut during the summer heat when no one gave a thought to firewood. My focus was on construction sites where the trees are bull dozed into big piles. They are not allowed to burn the wood, so my cutting bothered them not one bit. When the crews went home, I started cutting.

First, the only way you'll get that wood is by cutting in the summer. As soon as the cool weather comes, anything wood is gone in a flash.

Second, once or twice, I got into some Oak or Pecan and lots of Hackberry. You will cut wood that others don't want. The Hackberry was my favorite. It burns with a cheery white flame. Elm is considered a trash wood but it burns well if you can cut or split it before it dries out. Once dry, elm is like concrete and I've actually seen sparks flying from the saw chain!

There is usually Poison Ivy or Ivy vines on the wood. Learn what it looks like.

Don't stack the wood next to the house. It will attract termites.

Don't try burning Willow! It pops and explodes.

Cut safely and be cautious of branch wood that may be under tension in brush piles. Those will knock you into the next life!

Flash

Fosty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    I heated my home in Broken Arrow, OK for years with wood that I cut myself. I cut during the summer heat when no one gave a thought to firewood. My focus was on construction sites where the trees are bull dozed into big piles. They are not allowed to burn the wood, so my cutting bothered them not one bit. When the crews went home, I started cutting.

First, the only way you'll get that wood is by cutting in the summer. As soon as the cool weather comes, anything wood is gone in a flash.

Second, once or twice, I got into some Oak or Pecan and lots of Hackberry. You will cut wood that others don't want. The Hackberry was my favorite. It burns with a cheery white flame. Elm is considered a trash wood but it burns well if you can cut or split it before it dries out. Once dry, elm is like concrete and I've actually seen sparks flying from the saw chain!

There is usually Poison Ivy or Ivy vines on the wood. Learn what it looks like.

Don't stack the wood next to the house. It will attract termites.

Don't try burning Willow! It pops and explodes.

Cut safely and be cautious of branch wood that may be under tension in brush piles. Those will knock you into the next life!

Flash

Thanks for the tips

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Fosty, I have a technique for getting wood. Don't recall where you live, but in DFW ice storms are common. Almost every year.

When we have an ice storm, while lots of stuff is shut down, I drive around and cut up downed limbs. Usually have a kid or wife with me. I cut it up while they put it in the vehicle. Haven't paid for wood in years.

FYI, it's green and can't be burned in the year you cut it. But it's ready in 8 or 9 months. I had so much I gave me neighbor almost half a cord.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I used to follow the bulk brush pickup in town and find the wood. Plenty of oak and mesquite in corpus.

But splitting wood sucks. Spend the hundy in half a cord of assorted oak. Unless your cooking with it and need to make sure it’s certain good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom