• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Well crap, the last time I filled out an application was back in 1988 when I joined the Army. My work always sold it’s self being a wood butcher and all. My question is what the hell to you put down. This is a new one for me.
    Thanks
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Keep it simple. Focus on what you bring to the table (that they need).

A lot of companies scan resumes into a computer program that looks for key words. (Yes, those companies suck, but you can't play the game if someone doesn't point out the rules.) Make sure you have words that match those in their job description or advertisement.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Keep it simple. Focus on what you bring to the table (that they need).

A lot of companies scan resumes into a computer program that looks for key words. (Yes, those companies suck, but you can't play the game if someone doesn't point out the rules.) Make sure you have words that match those in their job description or advertisement.

I hate to say I have no clue. I'm just a simple honest man that has always worked with my hands. Hate to say say it is tuff out there.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    As someone who has looked at lots of cover letters:
    1) Keep it short. Everyone hates multipage resumes. Dont use the cover letter as an slick way of expanding your resume space. The example linked above sucks IMO. Its too long and simply restates a lot of crap that should be in the resume.
    2) Make it personal. Your resume is generic. The cover letter should highlight why you chose this position to apply for and what specific skills/experience/etc. you have that makes you the perfect person for the position.
    3) Have at least 5 people read it. "You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression". The point of the cover letter is to make them want to read your resume. If there are spelling/grammar errors, weird sentences, strange formatting, etc., you may hurt yourself. Have someone read it and then tell you waht you meant. Make suer what they get is what you meant.

Good luck.

Top Bottom