• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I saw someone mention that a medium length gas system would be easier on the rifle as well as reduce the amount of felt recoil, and then saw someone else mention that it would be cheaper to just buy a complete upper rather than convert from the Carbine-length system. Armed with that info, I went looking for prices on complete uppers, and they typically START at $550. Is that really cheaper than getting the parts and converting an existing upper?

It seems to me that you simply need a longer gas tube (about $20), and a handguard (admittedly fairly expensive, but far less than $500), and (maybe) a smith to actually replace the gas tube and/or move the front sight up to the end of the barrel to accomodate the longer handguard.

Am I missing something?

HDP Chris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Galveston
    Just by the complete upper. The smith that moves the front sight will then need to tap a very precise hole in the barrel and fill the old gas port. It wouldn't be so much trouble were you shortening your barrel vs moving your gas port forward. Its way more trouble than what is worth.
    Good luck let us know when you get your setup.

POF-USA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    college station
    Just by the complete upper. The smith that moves the front sight will then need to tap a very precise hole in the barrel and fill the old gas port. It wouldn't be so much trouble were you shortening your barrel vs moving your gas port forward. Its way more trouble than what is worth.
    Good luck let us know when you get your setup.

can you cut a barrel down easily, where would one learn how to?

HDP Chris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Galveston
    can you cut a barrel down easily, where would one learn how to?

There are gunsmiths who offer this as an option. You can Google it. Depending on how short you want to go, you'll need to contact your local BATF Agent to find out if you'll need to register for a tax stamp.

Ahh okay. Nevermind then - If I want to change, it'll be a complete upper.

Probably your best bet.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    You can buy a barrel with the port in the position for a mid length system for ~$225. Then add the gas tube $15.00, hand guards (recommend going free float here) ~$280. Lo-pro gas block ~$25. Then switch it over to your existing upper. (or pay an armorer to do it for you ~$65) Viola' a mid length upper for around $610.00

Joat

e4for2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Leon county,Texas
    I do not see a recoil difference between any of my AR's-as I have all three-the only thing you can do is try different compensators-to me there is very little recoil on any 223 AR--making it heavier like heavy barrel and adding weight to stock
    would help--you need to get a 22 LR upper

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You can do it for less than the cost of an upper, by why go to the trouble? For not much more, you can get a good quality BCM mid length upper, and you could even get the lightweight one and save some weight too:

BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

BCM 16" Mid Length LIGHT WEIGHT Upper Receiver Group

Technically, all you need to convert to a mid-length is the barrel, gas tube, and different handguards and that's it. I say do it the easy way and just replace the complete upper. You can recoup most of the cost selling your other upper.

Top Bottom