• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I have done electrical install on a ton of those.

With plumbing some where close it could be comfortable.

You need to make sure it’s insulated, and you can have walls, maybe drywall or some sort of wood board. Paint it whatever color you want.
    Have a torch cut hole for your AC, you will need it. When I was in Iraq our AC went out and it being stuck in a connex in the middle of the desert was hell.
    Target Sports

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have done electrical install on a ton of those.

With plumbing some where close it could be comfortable.

Spcwolf,

Can you tell me about how you wired your CONNEX?

Also Have you ever installed a Bath Room in one or more??
    (I'm thinking of something of the size/type that a Class C motorhome often has.)

yours, satx

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Mine is a High Cube, and I use it as a barn/shed. I keep all the power tools, ladders, unused lumber, etc in there.
    Most importantly, my tractor fits nicely.
    Closed and locked, it is pretty secure.

Excepting the fact that the idiot that delivered it got stuck, had a broken trailer, and it is not where I wanted it, I am pretty happy.
    Maybe one day I will figure out how to move the damn heavy thing where I want it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    In Portugal?

Vaquero,

Does it make a difference WHERE it is, other than it would be wired for 220V,rather than 110V??

I'm thinking that a CONNEX would make a decent little "hang-out" & shop while I'm reformatting the 200+YO VILLA that "a certain lady" wants.
    (If it became necessary, it could even be used for a "bed space" for a worker, who lives too far away to commute home 5-6 days each week. = TRUST ME, I've slept in LOTS of WORSE places when I was on AD.)

yours, satx

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    With enough alcohol you can sleep anywhere

USAFRICOM GENERAL ORDER NUMBER 1

2. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES:

c. Alcohol Consumption: Any person subject to the "Applicability" section of this General Order who is performing duty on the Continent of Africa is prohibited from consuming more than two alcoholic beverages in a 24-hour period.

(5)(b) No consumption of an alcoholic beverage shall be permitted within eight (8) hours of the start of regularly scheduled duty.

Yes, I know there are ways around such regulations; but that would not have been a wise move given my position...

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Do y'all worry about using these containers to live in due to the chemicals etc that have been shipped in them?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Mine is a High Cube, and I use it as a barn/shed. I keep all the power tools, ladders, unused lumber, etc in there.
    Most importantly, my tractor fits nicely.
    Closed and locked, it is pretty secure.

Excepting the fact that the idiot that delivered it got stuck, had a broken trailer, and it is not where I wanted it, I am pretty happy.
    Maybe one day I will figure out how to move the damn heavy thing where I want it.

I moved a 40' container for a neighbor last fall with my dozer. I took two old hubs off of a bent trailer axle and welded some dogs on the end that lock into the notches on the container. Once they are on, gravity locks them in place. You need a brace to come up and push against the container wall. I picked it up with my dozer and locked the wheels on one end, then drove around to the other end, picked that up, and drug it like a trailer. Turning tight corners required several unhooks and repositioning. We moved that container about 200 yards through timber, uphill, downhill, and sidehill, across some rocky ground, and across an asphalt driveway. It took all day because of the tight turns. But now its right beside his shop and handy for tool storage.

P.S. This one was empty when I moved it. Considering what we went through, I would not try to move one that had anything inside.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Do y'all worry about using these containers to live in due to the chemicals etc that have been shipped in them?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

So far, I have never heard of any concerns of such before. Even if, they could be washed out pretty easily with a hose and sprayer nozzle, or even a power washer.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I had a client that wanted to convert containers in to housing. He did a lot of research on them. The issue is the treatment on the floor boards. We were planning the remove them and build a floor to mitigate any issues.

AZRefugee,

OK. So what did your client actually do about converting the containers to housing??

yours, satx

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    AZRefugee,

OK. So what did your client actually do about converting the containers to housing??

yours, satx
    The va!ue of using a container is in the savings of building structure. What he was looking to do and what his investors wanted, he built traditional framed instead. In a nut shell in one meeting we were discussing furring the interior and drywalling as well as cutting the exterior for insulation and siding. At that point the monies spent to structurally modify the containers and the cost of the containers washed out the foundation.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    just spitballing here but what if you sprayed the outside down with foam insulation and set up a bunch of aluminum siding panels or what have you, over that. seems like youd still get a decent insulation value, without sacrificing interior space. chop a hole in the side for a window unit and call her done?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hey theo this is off topic but are you in your early/mid thirties and go to school at churchill HS?

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    just spitballing here but what if you sprayed the outside down with foam insulation and set up a bunch of aluminum siding panels or what have you, over that. seems like youd still get a decent insulation value, without sacrificing interior space. chop a hole in the side for a window unit and call her done?

While window units are cheap…in perspective to a mini split, but if you run a mini spilt you don’t have to cut a huge hole in the side and have to worry about it leaking…and you can place the inside unit pretty much anywhere. Then you have the added bonus as it can also be a heat pump for use in the winter.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Spcwolf,

Can you tell me about how you wired your CONNEX?

Also Have you ever installed a Bath Room in one or more??
    (I'm thinking of something of the size/type that a Class C motorhome often has.)

yours, satx

I am an electrician, I wired it like I would anything else.
    No I have not seen one with a bathroom.
    most of the ones I build are for “offices”.

You can take 2 of them and weld them together. A door that is torch cut wherever you want. Most of the time the wiring is done with MC cable or EMT, depending on the walls. If the wall isn’t covered and insulated you have to use EMT steel pipe. Your going to need an electrician to do this type of install. But if you know how to wire a house you can do it yourself with MC cable.

most of the plumbing is going to be outside, like a outhouse or portable shower. Think hunting spot.

Top Bottom