• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beau1911

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    D/FW
    I have been looking at the AR/M16 rifles and getting more confused about them. I see price from as low as 700.00 to as high as 2000.00 up. I have been researching for about year know. Just not sure how to tell if I am finding a good price on them, or if I should stick to my bolt action rifle. Some of the detailing on parts i am fumilar with the names brands. I know it boils down to personal preference. I guess in this feild you got to up on all prices, even on assories. Should I just start out with bone stock, and build up from thei?
    Hurley's Gold

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I think the sweet spot is about 1k. The 700 ones are okay but tend to have more plastic or lower quality parts. For around 1k you can get a good quality rifle. There are a lot of options. Some of it is name, some of it is features

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Around $1000 for a basic but known good quality carbine. As they go up from there you start to have more and more features like free float tubes and special coatings and match grade barrels and fully ambi lowers and target triggers.

I don't think one could go wrong with a basic carbine. They'll generally shoot better than the shooter in the field and are handy. You'll be able to find a Colt 6920 for just under $1000 and that rifle is the standard by which all basic carbines are judged. You also probably won't have too much trouble getting rid of it if you ever want to.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Depends what you want. You also have to look at what the basic models come with, are the barrels CHF, chrome-lined or not, 1/9, 1/8, or 1/7, manufacturer of barrel, free-floated or non. Is it chambered for .223 or 5.56? What accessories do they come with? Flat top, A2 or A3/4 handguards? How is the companies CS? What warranty does it come with? It would help to know what you plan to use the rifle for. Then maybe once you tell us what you want from a rifle, we can point you in the right direction.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    just get one of them cheap lowers for, $100, $50 lpk, and a cmmg or palmetto upper, used carry handle for $10-20, $5 used gi sling and youre done.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would say get a quad rail model, I didn't think I needed one, now I wish I'd spent alittle extra. But at least I can use it as an excuse for another rifle someday.

beau1911

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    D/FW
    I am looking for a Q.C.B. and medium range <300meters>. Also carry alot ammo. I figured .223 or 5.56 would good for that.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Whats your total price range, not including optics? Do you have an optic in mind or is that for another thread? LOL. Also, how often do you plan on shooting? Is accuracy your primary concern? How reliable do you expect it to be? Keep in mind if you build it yourself, there is no warranty or CS for the weapon. Only you. I would suggest you get a rifle chambered for 5.56 and a barrel with a 1/7 twist. That way you have more ammo options for your rifle and it will be more accurate with the larger pills.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    fyi, s&w m&p $600 with magpul rear sight and pmag from ryan at houstongunforum. good deal if you dont mind that it doesnt have a dust cover. might be able to find same deal elsewhere.

Top Bottom