• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Depending on the condition of the dies is a factor on cleaning for me . Light rust I use 0000 steel wool&gun oil. Depending on the amount of sizing wax build up some CLP & q - tips or just put them away till next time. It’s basically your decision .

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I’m kinda annal about it myself.
    Upon a finished reloading session of a specific caliber, that die set and/or toolhead will be disassembled and cleaned with 99% alcohol and nylon brushes.
    On the progressive it’s the same thing just take it a little further and include the bullet feeder and powder drop assembly. Coat the clean dies and exposed metal surfaces with Corrosion X. Have never seen a hint of rust on a die or a firearm.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Cotton swab on a small wood dowel ..(cleaning kit for shotguns)
    All I've done is used some acetone and clean them that way.

I lube them back with a little ballistol when I'm done

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    First, I try to use reasonably clean brass. That cuts down on the amount of crud in the dies. I will do a thorough clean on dies with Ballistol after use so that they're ready when I need them again. During reloading, if I see there's some buildup of soot or brass filings, I'll use a little gun scrubber or brake cleaner on a cleaning patch to clean out the affected die.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I only clean when they start feeling sticky or gritty. Maybe 3 times in about 40 years. Disassemble clean with simple green wipe dry, lube threads if you are constantly messing with them Mine stay put and locked down. Each set has 2 dummy rounds for seating depth reference.

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    I disassemble and spray brake cleaner, then twist a paper towel tight, spray a little more brake cleaner on it, and push it as far up into the die, and then down through the top threads, as I can, still twisting as I go. I'll repeat using a dry paper towel.

If I'm gonna store the die afterwards, I'll often dampen a cotton patch with Hoppes #9 and run it through.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Bore brush plus whatever solvent you like for hard stuff. Scrub until you are happy and then clean up with air and some alcohol. For bullet lube, scrape first! A little CLP afterwards to keep the rust at bay on dies that need that and where you care about such a thing.

Top Bottom