• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I didn't know that. Not a book, but for those who didn't know either a quick summary.

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/cattail.aspx

Edible parts: The lower parts of the leaves can be used in a salad; the young stems can be eaten raw or boiled; the young flowers (cattails) can be roasted. Yellow pollen (appears mid-summer) of the cattail can be added to pancakes for added nutrients. Shake the pollen into a paper bag and use it as a thickener in soups and stews or mix it with flour for some great tasting bread. The root can be dried and pounded to make nutritious flour. Young shoots can be prepared like asparagus but requires longer cooking time to make them tender. Added to soup towards the end of cooking, they retain a refreshing crunchiness. They're superb in stir-fry dishes and excellent in virtually any context.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    From a nutritional standpoint. The water that cattails grow will have more sources of protein then anything the plant has.

If you get that hungry. There's crawdads, grubs, grasshoppers, salamander, geckos, bull frogs, bull frog tadpoles, toads, snakes, caterpillars, and small perch.

The only thing I could see a cattail benefiting. Is for some fiber to crap out the above listed proteins.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Do a search for Euell Gibbons. If anyone would have written a book on eating cattails, it would have been him.

Ok. I did.

Here's the dude selling a box of GrapeNuts.

euell1_randall.jpg

Looking further. Cattail pancakes. I'd eat a cattail pancake before I'd eat GrapeNuts. I've never been that level of hungry, lol.

0-Title.jpg

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    "The only thing I could see a cattail benefiting. Is for some fiber to crap out the above listed proteins."

Very true
    A waste of time and effort in a survival scenario

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    "The only thing I could see a cattail benefiting. Is for some fiber to crap out the above listed proteins."

Very true
    A waste of time and effort in a survival scenario

Yeah I kind of feel the same. But I used to eat the shoots as a kid, and remember them being pretty good. I'm more looking to expand my breadth of knowledge for camping and hunting.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    IF you could find a book on cattail you would should get it, it has more calories and nutrition that a truck load of cattail...

1 oz =

Calories

From Carbohydrate

From Fat

From Protein

Total Fat

Saturated Fat

Monounsaturated Fat

Polyunsaturated Fat

Total trans fatty acids

Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids

Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids

Total Omega-3 fatty acids

Total Omega-6 fatty acids

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/ethnic-foods/10462/2#ixzz5KxDz2PXP

Top Bottom