• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've got a 3" deep Wagner cast iron skillet from the 1920's. It's a little thin, but it is my favorite skillet. I use it to cook just about everything, including deep frying fish and oysters!

I recently bought a couple if cast iron skillets with lids from Sportsmans Guide. I have to say I'm pleased so far. They are a bit rough on the inside but cook well and clean up rather easily.

What are your experiences with cast iron cookware?
    Texas SOT

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It is the furking sh!t. Grandma wasn't stupid. If I can,anything that goes on the stove goes in it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Like Ib mentioned, the new ones are a bit rough in the inside bottom, but cook very well. I clean them with as little soap as possible and boiling water. Then I dry them on the stove and recoat with a little oil.

Is that the regimen?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Soap?? No. I boil water & scrape 'til it's "clean enough". I "sort of" oil it after each use. I'm pretty sure that I don't know what the heck I'm doing though.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Like Ib mentioned, the new ones are a bit rough in the inside bottom, but cook very well. I clean them with as little soap as possible and boiling water. Then I dry them on the stove and recoat with a little oil.

Is that the regimen?
    That works
    Soap?? No. I boil water & scrape 'til it's "clean enough". I "sort of" oil it after each use. I'm pretty sure that I don't know what the heck I'm doing though.
    That works too

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    ce837638367569e6799d7dd4213441ce.jpg

I got this for Christmas. I haven’t used it yet. Should be fun tho.

(I have 3 girls, hence the hearts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I use cast iron almost exclusively. I oil mine once a year but it isn't necessary from how long its lasted from washing. Its the one thing I've had for many years and I inherited a pan from a great grandmother that was made when she was a kid. Shit lasts forever.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've got a 3" deep Wagner cast iron skillet from the 1920's. It's a little thin, but ...
    There ain't no "buts" about it. You do realize that the pre-war, thinner, smoother cast iron cookware is the more desirable stuff, right? Yeah, a brand new Lodge can work great but nothing beats the really old, somewhat thinner, and way smoother stuff from back in the 1920s.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I know two things about cast iron skillets. They last forever when treated and taken care of properly. Do not be the first one in the door when she's pissed. Was witness to that once. Not pretty.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Three various sized, cast iron skillets I've had for over 50 years, and a dutch oven given to me by my maternal grandmother that was made in the early 1900's.
    Wouldn't attempt to make a roux without the skillets, and the dutch oven is used for everything from baking, to smaller gumbo's, and as the go to pot for fried chicken and dirty rice dressing.
    Don't hunt that much any longer but all my cast iron cooking gear has made countless trips to hunting camps down through the years.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Years ago I was looking for a cast iron skillet and went to first monday in Canton. Got a mixed set. Pan from 1898 and lid from early 1900s.

The old stuff is smoother because the sand in the casting was finer. So I was told. It is the first non-stick surface in cooking.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I've got four cast iron items: a 6" skillet, a pre-1960's 10.5" skillet, a super-thick Smart's/Findlay 12" round griddle, and my fancy/recent Le Creuset enameled dutch oven. The 10.5" skillet gets used the most, probably twice a week or so.

The other side of the spectrum is a bunch of All-Clad stainless pots and pans. The All-Clad is very quick to respond to changes in heat whereas the cast iron is slow to heat up evenly but then keeps it's heat really well. I love them both for what they do and choose the pan for the need.

Edit to add: I forgot that I had recently purchased a corncob shaped cornbread pan, so I'm up to five cast iron pieces.

Last edited:

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge

Sounds right to me--that's the only way I clean mine, and there are three skillets and a cast iron griddle on my stove at all times.

Top Bottom