• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Just want to pick your brains. Wondering how most carry. IWB or outside with a cover shirt or jacket of some sort and why? Any other options you all like? I am not a large guy, but do have a few extra pounds. I don't own an IWB holster but was looking at them and wondering if they are uncomfortable for us "softer" folks. Greatly appreciate your opinions....thanks in advance :1zhelp:
    ARJ Defense ad

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I'm a n00b at carrying and having some fun with it. I have an FNP9 which seems to be a bit on the big sizes for daily carry duty. It's just too nice of a gun to leave at home. I have a IWB holester for it and I carry it at the small of my back, gansta style. It seems to conceal really well there, isn't uncomfortable and I can safely draw from that position and return it to the holester.

Whatever you choose - practice with it a lot. If you have a tactical range available go there and work with it. Also see if you can draw from your reaction side. Can you draw while moving? Can you draw and fire from the retained position (from the hip more or less). All things to consider. Based on feedback from friends I'm probably going to end up with a few more holesters.

I shoot pistols lefty. B/c of my carry position the IWB is actually right handed which at that location (small of back) positions the grip perfectly for a left handed draw. I'm also getting lefty holesters both in and out to try them out as well. I'm also temped for a shoulder holester, but that won't happen for a long time.

The biggest problem for me to carry is the locations I go to. Many office buildings have 30.06 signs. I don't like the idea of leaving a weapon locked in my car. Even if it is in a safe. If my car is stolen I just armed a bad guy. Plus: I telecommute a lot and there are no 30.06 signs for my house and I'm not worried about concealment: the SCAR and M4 sit on my desk providing advice as I work.

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    I’ve been carrying for over a year now and I carry a Kahr CW9 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB at the 8 o’clock position (l’m left handed so this would be 4 o’clock position for right handers). My cover garment is button up shirt or sometimes just a large T shirt. (I’m a small guy). The crossbreed is the ugliest holster I’ve ever seen, but it’s very comfortable. I like this type of carry because it allows for quick deployment. I can clear the garment, draw, and fire an accurate shot in 1.5 seconds.
    Practice with the holster is very important. I do daily “dry fire” exercises. I also suggest carrying around the house. It gets you use to the holster and your cover. Just remember that no holster is completely comfortable. You’ll know it’s there, but if you wear it for about a week you’ll get use to it.
    I’m not a fan of carrying at the 9 or 3 o’clock positions as it makes concealment difficult for a small guy like me. I don’t like 10, 11, 12, 1 or 2 o’clock because I don’t want the thing aiming at my groin. 6 o’clock is good for concealment, but if you fall on your butt you could break you’re spine. 4, 5, 7 and 8 o’clock is comfortable, well concealed and allows for quick deployment.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    OWB at 4:30, comfortable standing and sitting. .38 in the car door since i cant get at it with the seat belt.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    OWB at 4:30, comfortable standing and sitting. .38 in the car door since i cant get at it with the seat belt.

practice grasshopper practice lol... Now you have to practice multiple shooters in car scenario...

to anser the OP I carry G19 IWB crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30-4 o'clockish.... spare mag in my front pocket usually (when it goes with me, I need a spare mag holder) I carry a kel-tec p11 as a BUG usually in a pocket holster. Whatever you decide I recommend you practice accessibility and draw from multiple positions like from seated in a car, seated, standing squating etc. Like Dcav I usually either have a 2nd gun handy in my car or move my primary carry for easier access if needed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I prefer to carry at 3 o'clock with an OWB holster. Drawing and reholstering is much easier and faster from OWB than IWB for me. However, I find I carry IWB mush more often as it is more concealable FOR ME. I sometimes carry a handgun for work, and then I ALWAYS carry OWB. ( I am an armed, plainclothes personal protection officer on an on call basis, think bodyguard)

I will occasionally pocket carry, ankle carry or shoulder carry.

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    I carry a Glock 17 in a Don Hume IWB holster at 3oclock. I'm a "softer" guy (5'8'' 250lbs) and it feels fine when I carry. It's tight enough for you to know that it's there, but it doesn't hurt at all. I just drop a shirt over it and I've never run into any printing issues. I like IWB because I can wear just shorts and a T Shirt and I can still conceal without getting a longer or weird shaped shirt.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I carry a g 19 or a 1911 operator lw in a threat solutions ucr for a belt I use a 511 permastiff belt. A good carry belt makes a big diffrence. Make sure you get a good thick leather or a belt that has some retention to it.

Top Bottom