Buying either a Big Green Egg or Primo XL next month...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    My old charcoal grill is finally rusting through to the point that it is unusable. I am at a point in my life where I want to buy once and be done. After serious research, I have pretty much decided on a Large Big Green Egg, and it has the edge over the Primo. The BGE has stainless grate vs the ceramic coated Primo. I like the shape of the Primo and the fact I think I could fit more on it, but damn, I don't want to buy new grates in 3 years because the ceramic coating is wearing off.

Have any of you aficionados used or use one? What are your experiences? Any tips you recommend?
    Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Kamado Joe > Green Egg

I bought a Joe
    This summer and LOVE it
    Had several great cooks on it
    Ribs, brisket, pizza, chicken

Joe is basically the same cooker but they give you all the accessories
    BGE makes you buy all of it separately

20180804_173206.jpg

20180721_191600.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Well dang. My grill went to crap too. The charcoal tray thingy has completed rotted away. My charcoal starter the same. On it I was keeping it together with bailing wire. The body of the grill is ok but the legs are rusted to death.

I've seen those ceramic egg things. Guess Ill take a better look. But boy oh boy are they expensive.

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I initially discounted Kamado Joe because I thought it was just knock-off of BGE. However because of VMax, I have been reading about KJ, and here are some things I like. The spring system to raise the lid, many accessories included (better value), and the gasket. Almost everyone complained about the BGE gasket needing to be replaced because of high cook temp.

Who would have thought buying a grill would cause as much research as looking at a new gun. Damnit!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    One of the incentive prizes that my college gave in a drawing was the Big Green Egg with all the accessories, which of course I didn't win, but when I saw the value of that prize I was looking to see if it came with a chef.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You can find lots of videos on YT comparing the KJ and BGE
    I went with the KJ after going and looking at the egg and pricing all the must have accessories
    Found mine in stock at Ace Hardware
    Bought it assembled and took it home
    Like any grill or smoker, make sure to do a empty burn first to coat the inside otherwise your first cook will have a funny taste

kosmostx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2014
    I've got a large BGE and love it, but if I were doing it over again I'd probably go with the Kamado Joe. With the Egg EVERYTHING costs extra. Want a stand? Extra. Want shelves? Extra. I think KJ's top vent is a better design than BGE as well. If you can catch one of the weeks that they have KJ set up in Costco the price difference is even more exaggerated.

I haven't ever had a chance to play with a Primo, so the only opinion I can offer on them is looking at them in stores they seem to be high quality as well.

One important thing if you go with the BGE. The instructions aren't very clear on it, but when you are tightening the bolts on the bands that go around the base and lid tighten until the bolts deform. A friend has a topless Egg because he didn't have the bands tight enough. Opened it and the lid kept going until it was in pieces on the ground.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I said it before, wouldn't buy a smoker made in China. I'm sure the KJ is fine, but I not buying from China since I don't trust cooking in/on something made in that country. That left me buying either a Primo or BGE. Purchased a large BGE 5+ years ago. No problem with the gasket. Still using the same gasket too. If worried about assembly of a BGE, let the dealer assemble it for you. If you buy a Primo or BGE, ask about a package deal to get the best price. Everything considered, I really like the shape of the Primo but wish they weren't so expensive. But with that said, I like my BGE. Lots of opinions available.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    You can find lots of videos on YT comparing the KJ and BGE
    I went with the KJ after going and looking at the egg and pricing all the must have accessories
    Found mine in stock at Ace Hardware
    Bought it assembled and took it home
    Like any grill or smoker, make sure to do a empty burn first to coat the inside otherwise your first cook will have a funny taste

Depends on the cook.....

My charcoal grill is toast. It's a 55 gal drum grill. I can get a new drum for $20, but it'll take a little work to replace it.

It's on the list, but I don't use charcoal that often. What it was really handy for is burning up scrap lumber and brush.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    A much cheaper version of basically the same cooking concept would be the Weber Smokey Mountain grill. Comes in 3 sizes. It is NOT a BGE or even close but it does cook using the same basic concept for those who don’t want to spend that kind of money.

With that said all my peeps who own BGE all love them and they should last a very very long time. That would be a lifetime at my age :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I still think I can build a better barbeque/smoker for less.

Nothing like a nice steel smoker. Built right I don’t think any of the “eggs” could compete.

But I do see the appeal of ceramic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I love my Kamado Joe. Some days I wish I had gotten the BigJoe.

Truthfully, I've been doing a lot more on a sous vide with finishing on the KJ.
    Best Brisket I ever made was cooked in the sous vide for 48 hours then smoked for a few hours to get some mesquite.

Top Bottom