• ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Butter!

So what if my chol. count is 300.

Any fool can quit eating butter, it takes a man to use butter and lots of it...wait, I have a pain in my chest radiating down my left arm, ah, yes more butter and quick before I croak.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Was raised on Oleo Margareum and Crisco in the big can for frying. Cant stand Oleo now. Gives me heartburn. We use butter and or Olive Oil nowadays. We tried Coconut oil for a while..but it made stuff taste like a coconut.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    butter-is-better.jpg

https://theheartysoul.com/butter-nutrition-101-is-butter-bad-for-you-or-is-butter-good-for-you/

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Having not read the thread, my take on cooking fats is pretty wide-ranging.
    • Butter is great.
    • Olive, grapeseed, rapeseed (Canola),and coconut oils can go in pans for various reasons.
    • Beef tallow is especially good with high heat.
    • Sesame oil is great flavoring after the cooking is mostly done.
    • We all know reasons to buy large quantities of peanut oil.
    • The can of rendered bacon fat on the back of the stove should never go out of style.
    • French fries made in duck fat are a treat.
    • Lard is wonderful, versatile stuff.
    • Butter-flavored lard is unknown to many but it's amazing stuff if you like to bake.
    My rule is "Pretty much anything but margarine."

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    You better not be Parkay saying that.
    Who recalls the cutesy carton in some magazine. Where a big black guy calls the Parkay butter...the Parkay says Im not not butter Im Parfkay. The guy pulls out a large switchbade and tells the Parkay..."I said you was butter mo fo.!" Then he Parkay says..yes...ok I am butter. lol. Broke me up.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    It depends on the purpose... have we not learned a thing from the caliber wars? You wouldn't hunt dove with a 45-70, and you wouldn't carry just a .22LR on Kodiak island.

Default is butter- unsalted... one can always add salt, but it's a real bear to take back out.
    Now that there is olive oil margarine, i don't know if there is any reason for traditional margarine, IMHO. Eggs don't taste right to me unless cooked in butter or bacon grease.

When making honey butter for Korn fritters (the only recipie that is worthy from Sourdough Mining Co., Anchorage), there needs to be some vegetable oil based "margarine" added for consistency across a wider range of temperatures. Nothing like trying to dip Korn fritters in nearly solid honey butter.

I've recently started using avacado oil for high temperatures... smoke point is like 500 degrees... great for stir fry or other high heat applications.

Olive is is a great low to medium temp oil... to keep pasta from sticking to seasoning cast iron pans... not all olive oil is the same- extra vigin has a lower smoke point than light olive oil.

And yes, I tend to over science everything... but I love old school science- not science for science sake (if that makes sense).

Top Bottom