• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Fried turkey and various other recipes seem to be the rage these days but I have a recipe that’s been in the family for ages and is so tasty and rediculously simple it would be a sin not to share it with folks who have to depend on a plain old oven to cook for family.

Your turkey is guaranteed to please, the breast will be juicy, not dry, and the residual cooking juices make good gravy either by itself or thickened in a skillet with flour or cornstarch.

Ingredients:

1 whole turkey, any size
    2 sticks of butter
    Salt
    Box or can of chicken broth
    Roasting pan with lid, or disposable aluminum roasting pan with foil.

1. Put your frozen turkey in the bathtub and let it thaw. Once thawed, remove giblets and neck from the chest cavity and set aside.

2. Use one stick of butter to rub a thin layer of softened butter over the outside of the entire bird. Place second stick of butter in the chest cavity.

3. Lightly dust the outside of the entire turkey with salt.

4. Place turkey breast down in the pan along with the giblets. Pour 1/2 inch layer of chicken broth into the roasting pan (not on the bird or you’ll wash off the butter salt mixture). Cover turkey with lid or cover with foil and seal around the edge of the roasting pan.

5. Roast at 200 degrees for 10-12 hours overnight. Remove. And serve. (I always do 12 hours, never had a prob).

Bulletproof, and tasty. You can’t screw it up and everyone will think you’re a pro. And your critter will enjoy the giblet treats (our bloodhound is family:)

Edit - this recipe is a simple “Put it in the oven at bedtime and pull it out and serve the next day” recipe.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Well, while I'm sure that works fine (when I was a kid, my mom used to get up at 0200 to start the turkey), for folks who don't want to cook for 12 hours, let me offer an alternative that's faster and has been working for everyone I've passed it on to...

1. Start with a thawed, rinsed, patted dry bird between 14-18 lbs. Put the bird in a roasting pan on a rack BREAST SIDE DOWN. The rack is to keep it above the juices and liquids (you don't want to boil your bird)...

2. Put enough water in the pan to cover the bottom 1/2 inch along with giblets

3. Put a couple chunks of celery, 1/4 onion, half carrot, 1/4 apple, and some garlic cloves in the cavity for aromatics.

4. Put the bird in a preheated oven at 425 for 40 minutes

5. After 40 minutes, remove pan and flip bird to breast side up. Brush with butter/olive oil/soy sauce mixture, sprinkle with garlic powder, and put back into oven at 375 for 60-90 minutes. Times vary based on your oven and the size of the bird, so please use a meat thermometer for best results...

6. After 60-90 minutes, your turkey should be done. Confirm with a meat thermometer. if not done, leave in the oven but cut the heat. Give it another 15 minutes in the closed oven with no added heat.

7. When done, remove the bird and let sit for at least 30 minutes before cutting to quartering. I let mine sit at least 45 minutes and then I bone it out.

I promise you will have a very moist bird. Pan drippings can be made into gravy. BTW, it was my mother, who learned later in life you didn't need to cook a turkey for 8+ hours, who gave me this technique. Been using it for over 20 years...

I prefer a V shaped rack like this one...
    https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Home-02433-12-Inch-Nonstick/dp/B012OIVEKU/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1545681798&sr=1-16&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:6031194011

Lots of great info in this 3 minute video by Bobby Flay...

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I knew what you meant but I chuckled when I read it :)

chuckle..... say it 5 times. silly word

Top Bottom